9 replies to this topic

#1 williemak

williemak

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:56 PM

Following my recent holiday in Paleochora, I am interested in returning, and walking the section of the E4 Path that follows the West and South coasts from Kissamos to Chora Sfakion. Should it prove that such a walk is viable I would like to try to raise money for charities, espcially one that will help preserve the path, and some of Crete's natural beauty. Does such a charity exist, and any contact details would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any information they could share with me?

Are there any organised walks?

Is there a system of hostels for those souls hardy enough to attempt such a feat? I do not wish to sleep under canvas (or the stars), but I am working to a tight budget, so any suggestions re accomodation would help.

I have looked at the results from Google, and they are give some information, but nowhere near enough to plan such an adventure, hence this posting.

Thank you for your time.

#2 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:20 PM

Why don't you have a look at Ivan's site: http://www.crete-in-50-days.com/. There are parts of his walk that I'm not sure my survival instinct ould allow me to follow, unfortunately :lol:

Ivan's walk was more a wee bit more than 'just' the E4. FWIW, my own E4 experience was from Palochora to Sougia: it was a great walk, in my case via Anidri and the little church there, then down the Anidri gorge to the sea, and then onwards. Spent a bit of time at Lissos too. The sail back into Pal in the evening and a cold Mythos in the harbour with wife and friends was great.

Henry.

PS More about Ivan's walk (post-event, as opposed to the planning stages) on this very website: http://www.explorecr...walk-crete.htm!

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:45 PM

Williemak,
following the E4 route from Kissamos to Sfakia is possible. There is a difficult part between Sougia and Agia Roumeli. If you have the slightest vertigo problem, then take the boat from Sougia to Agia Roumeli. According to Ivan's description, the path was destroyed at a certain location but that was in March. Perhaps it is fixed now but still, it is a challenging path.
There are no youth hostels along the way, only small hotels where you can rent a room for 30-40 EUR.
Your idea to raise money for maintaining the paths is a good one, but unfortunately there is no such organisation.
Good luck!
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 senanb

senanb

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:38 AM

Williemak

Try looking up www.cretetravel.com/Activities/E4_walking_path.htm
It might be of some help
good luck

#5 Guest_Julie_*

Guest_Julie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:06 PM

Do NOT attempt the Sougia-Aia Roumeli section of the E4 unless you are a very experienced walker and are travelling with at least one equally experienced companion. It is not a walk to do alone (pace our dear SJ). The path has deteriorated with disuse for years: it's dangerous in places, and it is easy to lose your way in this most isolated, unfrequented area of Crete.

Follow Yannis's suggestion and take the ferry. The rest of the E4 coastal stretch, from Agia Roumelia to Sfakia, is pure delight. Take two days, overnighting in Finix or Loutro, and stop to swim and see the Byzantine church at Agios Pavlos on the way.

#6 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:33 AM

isn't SJ doing this bit again this year?

#7 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:11 AM

Stelios was in Crete a couple of months ago and he walked the Psiloritis region.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#8 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:10 AM

signomy! i must have mis-read his journals

we last saw him in lefkoyia and later in plakias on his mamoth trek

#9 Guest_anton_*

Guest_anton_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:36 AM

willimak, the advice from others here is good, and should be heeded, i walked the e4 footpath from hora sfakia to paleochora in 2003, including the notorious stretch between ag roumeli and sougia. there are a couple of places on this section where a misplaced foot will result in a fatal fall. also, the footpath is vague in places, getting lost is possible, and because of the rough nature of the footpath, a simple injury like a broken ankle could also prove to be fatal, as it could be days before someone passed by. there is also the problem of water, many people, including myself allow 2 days to complete this section, and enough water for 2 days is essential, i am aware of 3 places where water con be found, 2 of these i would only drink if my life depended on it.

saying that, the scenery between ag roumeli and sougia is really awesome, and the effect that 2 day walk had on me remains to this day, if i can raise enough cash to fly to crete this september i will certainly do this walk again, perhaps even both ways! if anyone has seen this stretch of coastline from the ferry and is determined to walk it, and would like a guide, i am more than happy to consider any requests.

safe walking,

anton.

#10 Guest_anton_*

Guest_anton_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:17 PM

if anyone is interested, the water i found on the walk between ag roumeli and sougia was

1) by digging a small depression in the sand on the beach 1km east of the base of the tripiti gorge, the water here was not good, and was used by the livestock of the local shepherd, and also many dead wasps littered the water puddles created by the animals.

2) after climbing out of the tripiti gorge to the ruins of pikilassos continue climbing up to the chapel of Profiti Elias, not only is this a stunning viewpoint, with much of sw crete visible, the chapel has a storage tank for collecting the winter rainfall. there was still water here in september 2003, but again, i would only drink this if i was badly dehydrated.

3) climbing down from pikkilassos towards sougia, one passes a luxuriant patch of vegetation, this is the key to finding a spring that trickles out of the earth, the water here is good.