6 replies to this topic

#1 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:11 AM

It actually stole my hole morning (any excuse for not working is welcome, but the Crete Gazzette in particular!).

I love the style of Lou Durou, always punching the sore spots! :wink:
And I wonder what effect the piece about the former US base will have? How do people normally react in Crete? I mean, in front of thirty-or-more millions for restructuring vanished in thin air will people react? Does newspapers in Greece have power to stirr up the waters? (For comparison: an article like that in an Italian newspaper would have people being upset and talking about it at the bar over their morning coffee, then everybody would shrug their shoulders and say that "anyway, it's no use complaining" - at that's where the thing dies.)

What will people in Crete do?

#2 Antero

Antero

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

It actually stole my hole morning (any excuse for not working is welcome, but the Crete Gazzette in particular!).

I love the style of Lou Durou, always punching the sore spots! :wink:
And I wonder what effect the piece about the former US base will have? How do people normally react in Crete? I mean, in front of thirty-or-more millions for restructuring vanished in thin air will people react? Does newspapers in Greece have power to stirr up the waters? (For comparison: an article like that in an Italian newspaper would have people being upset and talking about it at the bar over their morning coffee, then everybody would shrug their shoulders and say that "anyway, it's no use complaining" - at that's where the thing dies.)

What will people in Crete do?

Hi Dinny !

I remimber when russian troops left Hungary -
-mess , dirt and ,,,,, all over . -One could see on TV - it was horrible -.
But for now eg. former military bases turned to civilian airports ---
ofcourse a lot of money was needed , and still there are a lot of
possibilities for investments-this goverment we have now doesn't care.

András
András

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:30 PM

Dinny,
there was a mistake converting the 137,000,000 drachmas to Euros. The correct number is 402,000 EUR. Of course this does not reduce the significance of the fact that in year 2005 unprocessed waste is dumped into the sea.
As for the authorities, I doubt if they read ExploreCrete or the Crete Gazette...However I sent an email to the Committee for the Tourism Promotion of the Heraklion Prefecture. I have also tried to find the email of the Municipality of Gouves, where the ex-base belongs, but I didn't succeed in my research.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:10 PM

I don't speak Greek YET so I'll leave it with you to give them a call to ask for their email address... otherwise registered snail-mail including a print of the article and asking for an explanation should do the job with a town hall office.... I think, maybe, perhaps... :wink:

Municipality of Gouves:
Town Hall Tel.: +3 08970 41205
Mayors Office Tel.: +3 08970 41788 and
Fax.: +3 08970 41495

#5 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:46 PM

Dinny, thanks for the phone numbers but I deliberately didn't look for them. The reason is that Internet is an important part of our lives today and the various authorities of the world should realise that. Unfortunately, 3 of the most tourism-affected municipalities of Crete: Gouves, Hersonissos and Malia, have chosen to ignore the existence of Internet and they have no website of any kind. That doesn't feel right in 2005.
On the other hand, the authorities which have websites and email addresses, many times do not bother to check their emails or reply to them. If this happens in this case too, then we will just continue publishing our articles, like it has been happening for many years already.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#6 senanb

senanb

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:48 PM

Having just finished reading this months issue of the Crete Gazette.

I was amazed at the way, this Dutch company planned to market it's holidays in Crete. All I can say is that whoever came up with this idea must have thought of it in their office during the winter, where as well as being insulated from the cold, they appear to be insulated from reality as well.

maybe I'm just naive, but I just cannot see any connection between holidaying in Crete and the pain and misery that is caused by the abuse of these items.

#7 Guest_Lou Duro_*

Guest_Lou Duro_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:34 PM

Hi Dinny:
Thank you for your comments and your interest is the Crete Gazette. We certainly hope the right officials read the story and, more importantly, do something about the deplorable situation on the former base property. We will certainly continue to press the point with follow-up stories. While the Gazette is new to the Greek news media, we are getting more well-known each month, thanks to interested readers such as yourself. In addition to the on-line edition, we also publish a limited print edition of the Gazette, and we make an effort to "put it in the hands" of decision makers. And yes, in Greece, as in Italy and other places, some people will shrug their shoulders over morning coffee, but sometimes if the waters aree stirred enough, we can make enough waves until someone takes action. Mean while, the Gazette will continue to keep stirring.

Lou Duro
Editor