#1 yc

yc

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:00 PM

hello,
we are a family with small child and a baby. looking for a nice coastal village which has a nice wide sandy beach (not pebbles, NOT WINDY ),for mid semptember. because of safety issues with small kids' I was told it is better to go somewhere not too secluded like in the south, so we'are looking for somewhere in the north. ANy recommendations?
we are looking for an authentic village on the coast (if there is any in the north), not windy in september, and we are going to stay in a studio/small house.
ANy orientations, advises?
thanks
x

#2 Guest_David Reid_*

Guest_David Reid_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:06 PM

If you want somewhere quite but north and with in reach of other places I would look at Bali.

#3 yc

yc

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:17 PM

can you describe it? is it a good spot for exploring other places? how's the beach?
thanks!!

#4 Guest_Steve>B_*

Guest_Steve>B_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:00 PM

Hi YC and welcome to Explore Crete.
Bali is a very nice place,with three sheltered beaches,and shallow water,but is becomming rather busy these days as more and more travel firms are featuring it in thier brochuers.Its a small place at the bottom of a steep hill,about half way between Heraklion and Rethymnon.
For other options,how about Anisaris,Sissi or further east,on the other side of Ag.Nik,try Amoudara or Istron,where there are some of the best beaches in eastern Crete within 15 minutes drive of Ag.Nik
best of luck,Steve.B

#5 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:34 PM

Thank you! I read a bit about these places...
Where whithin those 4 places you mention, i can find calm beaches that are good for children as well, not surfing beaches, where the wind is not blowing etc?
Is istron a suitable place with several choices and walking tours?
what about sissi?
anisari or anissara?
thanks again
yael

#6 Guest_Steve.B_*

Guest_Steve.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:00 PM

Yes YC,Istron is very safe for kids,as you pass through Istron,look for the sign"Golden beach",small cafe,nearby mini markets,sunbeds and shallow,usualy calm warm water.
Another option before you reach Istron,there is a beach called I think,Almyros(Watch for a small duck-pond on the left)this is also good for kids.
As for walks in the area,'fraid Im not too well up on that,but Im sure you will find some.Take the road towards Kritsa,about a mile before the village,look for a sign and some photos on a board,for "Kritsa gorge",a nice walk through one of the most secluded and least known gorges in the east of the island.Good luck,Steve.B

#7 malgosia

malgosia

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:06 AM

I would recommend a beach in Frangokastello where besides sandy beach, small coastal village is also a very nice medieval castle!

M.