Cheated in Chania

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Margarita_*

Guest_Margarita_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:24 PM

We had a wonderful trip in Crete in June, all around the island.
Only the last evening was a disappointment. We went to Pizzeria Corali in Chania harbour. Their most expensive pizza was 8,50 euros, which is much more than the average. One of us wanted to have pineapple in his ham pizza (ca 7 euros), because they promised to make "any kind of pizza we wanted". OK, he got a few very odd tasting bits of pineapple in his pizza. But: the waiter had the stomach to say that this "special" pizza costs 11 euros. 11 EUROS FOR A PIZZA!! Never! I refused to pay that price and after a very nasty quarrel we got it with 8,50.
This has never happened to me before in Greece (since -83).
Avoid this place! :evil:

#2 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:15 PM

Hi Margarita,
I'm sorry you ended your holiday with this bad experience!

In your place I would print a copy of your review here and send it to the Pizzeria - and maybe also to the local tourist office... they should know that the word is spread about their way of doing business. It's very shortsighted to cheat tourists like this... and it's bad for everyone since too much of this crab would hurt the hole tourist business in Crete. There's already the problem of things being lately "too expensive" at the shops in Crete (equal for everybody in Crete, but deadly to tourism), I don't think the business needs also having to defend its reputation from greedy restaurant owners like this one.

Dinny

#3 Brook

Brook

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:26 PM

It is sad when a tourist feels cheated in a beloved place such as Crete.
There is always some owner or establishement which will be dishonest or unappreciative of the business the tourists provide however, from my personal experiences there are 10 good for every 1 bad experiences in Crete. Generally, the business owners are fair and treat the tourists well.

#4 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:10 PM

HEY, THE BEST PIZZA IN CRETE WOULD BE IN KOKKINI CHANI, IRAKLIO. A TAVERNA CALLED ASTERIX. THEY HAVE THE BEST BEST BEST PIZZA EVER!!!! MUST TRY!
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#5 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

How much is a pizza in Crete?

#6 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:20 AM

6-8 EUR I think but it can be more. For example, PizzaHut is 8 -14 EUR depending on the size and the ingredients.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#7 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:33 PM

I wonder how much it was BEFORE the introduction of the Euro?

In Italy is an ongoing war about pizza prices. BEFORE a pizza and a beer would be 10.000 lire equal to about 5 Euro. NOW a pizza and a beer is 10 Euro - when you're lucky!

#8 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:11 PM

As for pizzas, there's at least three places in Paleochora where the handmade (chef displaying his or her consummate skill) pizzas, with fresh and tasty toppings of your choice, and baked in the wood-burning pizza-oven, are served. Add to this the ambience, the lack of loud music, the Birra Mythos at most reasonable prices, and this to me is pretty near a perfect place for pizzas.

Going to a foreign-owned mega-chain to eat in Greece sound sacrilegious to me. People who live there may have a different agenda than we have, but as a tourist I couldn't dream of patronising McD, PizHut, BurgKng etc in your lovely country.

Henry.

#9 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:41 PM

HENRY, THE PIZZA AT PIZZA HUT IN IRAKLIO IS PRETTY GOOD. BUT PIZZA HUT IN NEW YORK, IS GROSS! FAST FOOD IS MUCH BETTER IN GREECE THAN IN THE STATES. ALSO, A PITA PAN OPENED UP RECENTLY IN NEW YORK, IT'S HORRIBLE!!!!
ABOUT THE WOOD BURNING STOVE, A N Y T H I N G YOU COOK IN A WOOD BURNING STOVE TASTES AMAZING, (IT JUST TAKES FOREVER TO COOK)

BUT I AM DYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYIIIINNNNGGGGGG TO TASTE PIZZA IN ITALIA. MY FRIEND'S MOM IS FROM ROMA, AND SHE MADE ME PIZZA FROM SCRATCH ONE DAY, IT WAS EXCELLENT!
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#10 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 08:17 AM

Mavrolio, EVERYBODY can make pizza "from scratch" - even you! :D
All it takes it a little flour, yeast, water and salt - tomato & Mozzarella on the top, and you're done! NO NEED to marry an Italian to taste it!! ahahahha (just kidddddiiinggg!!!) :)

#11 malgosia

malgosia

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:40 AM

Cause the topic changed its origin a little bit I would like to recommend one pizza place I tried last year and this June. It's in Agia Pelagia (north part of the island). The place is run by Scandinavian people and it's the first taverna on your right (at the see shore) when going down from the city to the beach. Well, it's always quite crowded which is the best recommendation. Delicious and excellent service!! :lol: