Any suggestions for tracing ancestors - Spathaky - Spathakis

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:28 PM

Hi, I've just found this forum and I've had a long standing urge to find my Greek family roots so I figured this may be a place to start. We have a few facts to go on but most of the history is pretty old, several generations so I'm ready for disapointment, but any clues may be a help, so do pitch in...

My family name is Spathaky. Now I assume, and it is family myth, that this is originally Spathakis and the faimily may be from Crete but I have nothing to back this up so far.

We have records of a great grandfather who was registered as living in the Greek community in Cardiff, South Wales pre 1900's and in fact my own father was born in that area (b.1918 and still alive!) but has no memory of anyone actually speaking Greek.

It has always been assumed that the name was 'made english' by a census or immigration official and it may even be a link to the place of origin rather than a name.

If anyone can help I can furnish more details by email - davesp at eircom dot net or by PM here

Again thanks in advance for any ideas David Spathaky - Ireland (but that's another story!)

#2 sospiri

sospiri

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:18 AM

Hi Dave,

My own inclination would be to start with the death certificate of the oldest member of the family you can find. This will give you either their age at death (not always 100% accurate) or their date of birth, though not where they were born. You can access the indexes and obtain copies of certificates at www.1837online.com - this is not a free site, but neither will it break the bank!

The latest searchable census is for 1901 at www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk - you can do a name search for free, but have to pay for images of the household.

The 1881 Census is online free at www.familysearch.org - the availability of other censuses varies.

As regards Greek genealogy, I know absolutely nothing! I'm sure Yiannis or someone else on this site will be able to tell you what records, if any, are kept by the Greek government and the Greek Orthodox church. If I can be of further assistance on tracing the UK end of things, by all means get in touch using the "Contact Me" section of my website, The LONGMORE Pages, at www.msheppard.com

Regards,

Maurice

#3 davesp

davesp

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:47 AM

Hi Maurice and thanks,

I probably didn't make it clear but we do have quite detailed geneology records from research in the UK about our family and the oldest member recorded with their birth date etc. I didn't want to post the whole thing here. The story breaks down when we get to any links in Greece. So if anyone has the any information or clues of where to look or who to ask I would appriciate it.

#4 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:52 AM

for what it's worth :)

Spathakis would indicate a Cretan background, my understanding of 'akis' is that it came from the turkish influence and meant 'son of' or 'little one' 'child of'
not unlike the english 'son' in Harrison or Johnson

good luck!

#5 sospiri

sospiri

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

Hi again David,

Since writing the above, I've been doing a little digging and can tell you that in 1901 the following were living in Cardiff:
Albert SPATHAKY age 13
Alexander SPATHAKY age 16 - apprentice printer compositor
Harriet SPATHAKY age 23 - stationery shop assistant
and at a different address
Rose SPATHAKY age 21 - hotel assistant.

No sign of the family on the 1881 Census, but indexing isn't always perfect or the family may just have been away.

However, the following deaths are recorded in Cardiff:
George Aristides SPATHAKY age 3 - in 1885
Antonio SPATHAKY age 40 - in 1889

I can't find a birth for Antonio, but can find his marriage at Cardiff in 1875 to either a Jeanette MARKEY or an Emma TUCKER - you will need the certificate to be sure which.

Now I suggest we take this discussion off the ExploreCrete Board before Yiannis throws us off as it is somewhat off-topic!

Regards,

Maurice

#6 davesp

davesp

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:08 PM

Hi again Maurice,

As I mentioned I already have details of the faimily history in the UK and all he people you mention, I just didn't particularly want to publish them on the board here. I was looking for help with tracing the family in Crete.

If anyone has knowleage of people who can help me 'explore crete' in this way I would be happy to send details of my family research to get them started.

Hi harribobs

Thanks for that. I understand also that the Spatha part may be a reference to a sword or even cape Spatha but I have no idea if people tended to take their names from their place or profession or if there is a known family name of Spathakis in the area.

All the best Dave Spathaky

#7 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:37 PM

Hi Dave,
I did a research in the Greek Phones directory and there are:
- 8 listings for SPATHAKI(s) in Athens
- 7 listings in Thessaloniki
- 0 listings in Heraklion and Chania.

My guess is that the above Spathakis either do not come from Crete (more possible) or they all moved to mainland Greece some time in the past (less possible). I must add that I did not search the small towns in Crete though.

You can check the Greek Phone Directory by yourself at http://whitepages.ot...gr/en/index.jsp

Good Luck!
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#8 davesp

davesp

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:26 PM

Hi Yannis

Thanks this looks like a good start. I found that I could delete the contents of the 'area' search box and perform a search for all of Greece and find 27 results.

My next challange is to get a short letter translated from Emglish into Greek to send off to these peoples postal addresses asking for help. If anyone on this board would like to practice their language skills please send me a private message. (Click the PM button at the bottom!)

Thanks for the help

Dave Spathaki (?)