2 replies to this topic

#1 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 04:30 PM

My wife & I will be visiting Crete in 11 days. I just read Yannis comments about guidebooks, particularly the Rough Guide to Crete. He is exactly correct when he mentions what the guide says about Gouves and the closed American Air Force Base. I was on that base from March 1969 to August 1970. There were no planes or runways! We were all involved with communications.

We are going to spend 2 nights in Gouves, 2 nights in Chania, and 2 nights in Sissi and will have a rent car. Even though I spent 18 months there some 35 years ago, are there any specific "don't miss" recommendations? My wife has never been to Greece and I want to show her the places I visited long ago. I know the beautiful, quiet places we used to visit have developed into tourist areas, hotels, etc. I am not looking forward to seeing that! We used to eat at a quiet little cafe in Hersonnisos called Mike's Place. It probably had two tables inside the tiny place and 3 or 4 tables outside across the street on the harbor. It will not be the same I am sad to say.

The trip begins with Athens and will end with Santorini. I can't wait to return.

Jeff - Texas USA

#2 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:05 PM

Hi Jeff,
I hope you and your wife will have a wonderful stay.... even if places you used to know have changed, there are still so many others to discover, and with a car you won't have any problems in finding the quiet little places with "two tables inside and four in front" :wink:

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:00 AM

Hi Jeff,
since you will visit Crete after so many years, you should be prepared for a LOT of changes. I am not sure whether you will recognise the "beatiful, quiet places" you used to like...
I don't have any specific places to recommend, besides you will be so few days on Crete that you will be busy all the time. I wish you a great vacation.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster