Any of you actually trying to learn the Greek language?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 daveg

daveg

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:40 AM

Excellent link PG!
Many thanks for that
Daveg

#22 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:04 PM

Thanks to everyone for the good advice! I'll be sure to get some cassettes! And, who knows, in a few hundred years I'll be able to speak Greek, which anyway is not spoken in Crete. :)

Well, I'll get the cassettes, but I recon I'll learn quicker and easier when on the spot!

#23 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:06 PM

Yes, ... that was me! :)

#24 Guest_Peter G_*

Guest_Peter G_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:41 PM

Stumbled upon this one earlier..looks interesting!!!

http://www.cogsci.in...y/lan/greek.htm

#25 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:00 PM

Thanks alot for your replies, that website is great too. I can't believe I've never heard of "Kritiko" before! I'm getting interested in linguistics, it would be a dream to go to Crete to study the language. :D

#26 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:04 PM

I almost forgot, this website is helpful as far as alphabet and letter combinations. It also includes one of my favorite poems by Kostas Varnalis.

http://shamir.eas.as...t/alphabet.html

#27 Mieke

Mieke

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:23 PM

I've been trying to learn Greek also. Alas, I'm not someone who learns new languages easily, so you can imagine my struggling with Greek.
I started by 'learning' a little Greek when staying at Crete for a few months, but since I didn't know about grammar and so on, I could really not have a normal conversation when I left.
The next year I went to another part of Greece and found out that I could understand more than I thought. Maybe the Cretan dialect was affecting my skills more than I thought. I got enthousiastic for it again!

Since 2 years now I've had some lessons in wintertime, once a week with some other 'beginners'. You should think that I could do some conversation now..... but no. I can only answer the son of a Greek friend of mine when he askes me what color his dog (sitting next to me) has! I can do some little things, like telling where I come from, what I do and so on, but normal speaking, no. I think I will never learn, but I keep trying!

#28 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

any 1 know any phrases for chatting women ect like your pretty and i like you

:roll:

#29 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

There are some of these phrases in www.explorecrete.com/various/greek-language.htm
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#30 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:37 PM

Yannis, in case you really don't know how to spend your time.... :wink:

Wouldn't it be nice if you would produce another little flashmovie with some of the common phrases one would like to know when arriving? :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D

It just took me a few days to learn and remember all the numbers (OK, some people gave me "the odd look" when entering my office, thinking I was listening to some kind of preacher, ahahha) since I just had the flashmovie running in the background. It's funny also that you can easily learn how to write the words (if you know how to blind-type) by just switching your keyboard to Greek!

χιλιο Εφκαριστο in advance! :wink:

#31 Tall_Guy

Tall_Guy

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:46 PM

Is it possible to learn Greek while drinking raki in a cafe or taverna ? :lol:

We leave in 4 days and will be in Crete in 6...(overnight on the plane & agin on the ferry)...I'm starting to get totally distracted. :shock:

Paul
N 44 54.474
W 63 46.979

#32 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:53 PM

Paul, I think you just need to know the word "Yamas" (Means "cheers", but I don't know how to write it!) :wink: And then of course "Raki, parakal" (Raki, please) ... and if they're slow with the bottle, bang your fist on the counter and say "Tra!" (Now!).... :lol: :twisted: :lol: :D ..... and "N, Efkarist" (Yes, thank you) when you're offered a glass.

That's all there is to it!

Hang in there, the next four days will be the loooongest days of your life!
:D

#33 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:57 PM

Yers ago, I picked up a book called "Learn Greek the Modern Way" (not) in Cyprus.

It used the novel technique of teaching you one word every lesson starting with each letter of the alphabet. To this day, my husband swears that all the Greek I know is "my submarine's stuck in that tree". And that was lesson 1!

I have also tried the "Teach yourself" course. Incidentally, it lies and says you can do it with the book only. You can't. You MUST have the cassettes.

I make progress every holiday then forget it all by the next. There are Greek waiting staff in my local Italian restaurant, (Don't ask)and I'm trying to persuade them to give me lessons.
Sheila

#34 Tall_Guy

Tall_Guy

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:41 AM

Dinny.......

"Tra!" "Tra!"

Are you trying to get me in trouble ? :oops:

Shall I try that phrase (and that attitude) at the Zafiria Internet Caf :?: :lol: :lol: :D

Paul
N 44 54.474
W 63 46.979

#35 tinker

tinker

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:12 PM

i used the BBC speak greek book which comes with 2 cassettes and video should be available at library really good and easy to learn also used in night school classes in UK.

#36 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:19 PM

Now I've ordered the Niki Watts book "Greek in three months" ... that's exactly the time I have before I get there! ;-) The Linguaphone course might be OK but it's terribly expensive - 370 Euros - and knowing ME I risk spending a lot of money without having the necessary consistency to follow the course. After all, I trust that once I get there I'll pick up the language in no time! :roll: Well, when in pre-historic ages (famous '68 8) I arrived in Italy from Denmark by hitchhiking without knowing one single word of the language it actually took me only 2 weeks to get by... but then again, Italian is not Greek (to me)! :wink:

#37 Guest_Peter G_*

Guest_Peter G_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 02:57 PM

Hi Dinny
I got the Linguaphone course from my local library (and photocpied it all :) ). You probably can get it in Denmark too by inter-library loan. I wouldn't bother trying to buy it -as you say it is outrageously expensive!!!
Anyway the N. Watts book is a great start!!!
Peter

#38 Guest_Steve.b_*

Guest_Steve.b_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:52 PM

After taking Greek lessons myself,I believe that the only way to become fluent,is to live in Crete and be exposed to the language every day!
however,its good to make an effort and at least be able to meeet and greet people properly and with respect.
Once you are passed the basics,I recommend "Pimsluer Greek",an excelent audio course,but perhaps alittle to fast for the beginer.

#39 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:28 AM

Hi Steve,
You'll have to expand a bit on that "pimsluer Greek" you mention... can't find anything like it on Google. And we all know "if it's not on google, it doesn't exist" :)

Is the name of the course (book?) written like that .... or is it a typo? :wink:

#40 Guest_lala_*

Guest_lala_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:09 PM

By far the most superior tape Greek language course is the BBC Greek language and People, by David Hardy. the extended version not the shorter one. Can be obtained from http://www.hellenicb.....m#BBC Courses