Photo

Where should I convert US Dollars to Euros?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:24 PM

My wife and I are flying from Texas to Greece/Crete on 4 June. Where is the best place for me to change to Euros? In Texas? At London Gatwick where we change planes? Athens? Thanks for the advice? :lol:

PS I still have some Drachs left over from my stay on Crete in 1969-70. Are they usable anywhere?

#2 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:10 PM

My wife and I are flying from Texas to Greece/Crete on 4 June.  Where is the best place for me to change to Euros?  In Texas?  At London Gatwick where we change planes?  Athens?  Thanks for the advice? :lol:

PS I still have some Drachs left over from my stay on Crete in 1969-70.  Are they usable anywhere?

you should be able to use your bank cards to get euros from the atms while in crete, i can't see any reason why not just check the exchange rates in the us and crete before you come over

as for the drachmas, you can use them where ever you like :lol: but not as money any more!

#3 _Alberto

_Alberto

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:38 AM

Currently the change is not particularly favourable when it comes to convert Dollars into Euros. For instance if one lives in Europe and plans buying books at amazon, one should resort to the usa amazon site and not to the uk one for the conversion will make the book cost 30% less!

So, if you use a cc, obviously you won't have any of these problems because your company takes care of the conversion. The same applies if you use it to withdrraw from an ATM.
So, basically, all you need is just to convert a bit of cash (depending on your length stay or what you plan to do) and then for the rest rely upon "Cc driven" conversions.
I hope this helps a little bit at least. ciao!

#4 AcornMan

AcornMan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:12 AM

Don't bother exchanging money, and definitely don't bring travelers checks. Just bring your ATM card and your credit card and you'll be all set. One piece of advice though: Call your bank before you leave to tell them what countries you'll be using your cards in so they don't freeze your account. I've had that happen before and it's quite a pain as you can imagine.

By the way, my wife and are from Kansas and will be arriving in Crete a few days before you. If I hear anyone speaking Texan I'll have to ask them if they use this message board. :lol: