#1 andy&emma

andy&emma

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:17 PM

Hi,
We have recently arrived on Crete and are looking to set up a mobile therapy service. We have ten years experience in massage, aromatherapy and reflexology and have both worked in the therapy sector in the UK. We would be grateful if anyone knows whether this service is already offered in the Hania area, and any other comments would be appreciated. Many thanks.

#2 randy rabbit

randy rabbit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:59 PM

asking at the larger tourist hotels might be one way to go, i'm sure many of the tourists would appreciate the services of a masseur.

once saw a couple offering massages on the beach in paleochora, not sure if this is 100% legal though.

there are plenty of people requiring leg massages at the end of the samaria gorge... :o

does this information qualify me for a free massage if i make it to crete this year :oops: :lol:

#3 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:15 AM

there are plenty of people requiring leg massages at the end of the samaria gorge... :lol:

now that is a good idea :o

#4 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:37 PM

I have seen a sign for "massage and reflexology" in Agia Roumeli, the town at the exit of Samaria gorge. I don't know if this person is still in business.
In Heraklion there are therapists who offer aromatherapy and reflexology treatments, so I suppose there must be a few in Chania also.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#5 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:59 AM

Hello Yannis, Andy and Emma, Randy and everyone else,

I currently live in Australia (haven't been to Europe for a long time)... I fell in love with Crete many years ago and will be coming for a long stay on the island in a few months....
I've been wondering whether there is some natural therapies centre on Crete. Are there any herbalists, maybe someone who does acupunctre?

I'm looking forward to hear from you all in the near future. :lol:

mandragora

#6 andy&emma

andy&emma

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:06 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments. We intend to offer a mobile service visiting clients in their homes. I dont think that anyone is offering that service in the Hania area yet.

#7 randy rabbit

randy rabbit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:41 AM

good luck with your business, maybe you could post again in the future and let us know how you get on.

regards. rr.

#8 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

Hi Andy and Emma,
I think its a good idea and Im sure you will have success with it. My friend Cora has just moved to Crete temporarily -March till June. She lives in Hania area and offers "5 rhytms" dancing lessons, English lessons, writes about Cretan mythology for some sort of local magazine, sells prints of her artwork AND offers a massage. She says that she got work offers very quickly, just by the word of mouth, which seems to be the best advertisement to start with.

I once had a similar but too impulsive idea, thought I could practise my newly acquiered skills in holistic massage right on the beach nr Matala so I built this lovely sheltered "parlour" and put out my preprinted sign - but I think bypassers were just embarrassd by such a novelty, and I soon packed my business in :D :D :D

The Samaria leg rub had been suggested to me as well before and I think it is a really good idea. I also liked the idea I believe from Gatwick airport - offering Indian head massage = head, back & shoulder massage to all the tired passengers waiting for their (often delayed) flights..

All the best with your venture!

#9 randy rabbit

randy rabbit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:53 PM

hello mandragora,

i would like to be able to answer your question, because of my own interest in herbs and herbalism, especially greek herbs, but on my many visits there, i have not noticed herbalists and natural therapies centres in the context you would find in melbourne or london.

since herbs have more importance in everyday greek life than say, england, i guess there is less demand for these centres, as everyone is so damn healthy anyway :D

my own view on this is crete as a whole is one big natural therapy centre, and also one big herbshop,

rr

#10 _Alberto

_Alberto

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:02 PM

Randy u have an interest in herbs? A real one or an amateur one? I'd need a counseling if you have a solid or so understanding of herbs, but of course via pvt messages. Got a problem with a finger, an infection eroded a cartilage and shocked the bone - sort of a septic arthritis. I know there are herbs that can help. Feel free to pvt message me if you know about this.

#11 mandragora

mandragora

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:12 AM

Hello rr,

after I posted my message I actually had exactly the same thoughts as you: Crete in itself is a natural therapy... :lol:
I've been interested in naturopathy and also oriental medicine for many years now (also did studies), but I know so little of the folk medicine of the Balkans or southern Europe.
Have you heared about any good books on the subject?

Mandragora

#12 mandragora

mandragora

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:16 AM

Hi Alberto,

have you ever tried comfrey cream or ointment?
A wonderful herb for bones. I've been using it for many years now - every time my old back injury flares up...

Perhaps it might work for you, too.

All the best

mandragora :lol: