3 replies to this topic

#1 randy rabbit

randy rabbit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:28 PM

im a randy buck rabbit and am hopping over to crete in june, would love to know where all the randy rabbits go, leave your carrots at home, you wont be needing them while im around, heard that lendas and matala are good places to go, is this true?
randy.

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:07 PM

Lendas is quite different than Matala. Matala is very touristic and crowded, while Lentas is relatively undeveloped and more quiet.
The advantage of Matala is easier transportation and a more central location compared to the isolated Lentas.
As a local I would choose Lentas and the nearby Diskos. As a tourist I might consider a more quiet place close to Matala, like Sivas. It is a few km far from the beach but it is traditional and preferred by Greeks. The beach town of Kalamaki is a good choice also.
You may read about Diskos or Dytiko beach in Lentas here: www.explorecrete.com/crete-east/dytiko-lentas.htm
Read about the area of Matala here: www.explorecrete.com/hiking/mesara.html
Read about Sivas here: www.explorecrete.com/routes/Sfakia-Asterousia.html
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 randy rabbit

randy rabbit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:01 PM

thanks for your fast reply, looked at the links you provided, the 3rd and 4th pictures on the first link are making me hot, any more of these and i will have to jump in a cold shower... better still, email hot photos to ho..... :
seriously, also heard that lendas is still relatively undeveloped,but that was a few years ago, when arriving from the west involved travelling down to kali limines? and then following the rough coastal track east to lendas. probably now replaced by a tarmac road. l also heard its a good place to meet those gorgeous german and swedish backpackers too, (time for another cold shower i think :lol:
like the website, has some good information,
thanks,
randy rabbit.

#4 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:10 PM

we really like Matala, but having said that we are usually there either in May or September, so i can't comment on high season.

it gets busy during the day, there are lots of day trippers but Red Beach is the place to go and soak up the sun, (its a wonderful nudist beach) in the evening there always seems room in the restaurants and i'd recommend the Lion and the Zafira bar for a bit of nightlife