3 replies to this topic

#1 Tall_Guy

Tall_Guy

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:59 PM

Would it be convient to travel by bus to a hotel in Matala if we arrived in Heraklion by ferry from Athens?
I don't want to rent a car unless I need to.

Also, after spending a week in Matala we were thinking of taking a bus to Agios Nicholaos & getting a ferry to Rhodes. Could we again rely on a bus for this trip?

What could we expect to pay for a meal in a taverna or some other reasonably priced place ?
My wife is vegetarian, will she have a difficult time ordering meals ?

Thanks,
Paul

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:09 AM

Getting a bus to Matala or Agios Nikolaos is no problem. I think there is a bus to the sout every hour or so.
A meal for two costs about 25 Euro. Your wife will not be hungry, as there are enough vegetarian dishes.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 Tall_Guy

Tall_Guy

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:22 PM

Thanks Yannis, we still haven't figured out where we are going yet...there's so many places to pick & choose from.
We think we'd like to stay away from the big cities, towns and tourist traps and try to find a place where we'd get a feel for the "real' Crete. That's why I was thinking of a village like Matala.
Do you think that would be a good choice?
We were thinking of a place like Calypso Hotel but would like a small kichenett.
We're open to suggestions if anyone could point us in the right direction.
Thanks,
Paul

#4 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:36 AM

Thanks Yannis, we still haven't figured out where we are going yet...there's so many places to pick & choose from.
We think we'd like to stay away from the big cities, towns and tourist traps and try to find a place where we'd get a feel for the "real' Crete. That's why I was thinking of a village like Matala.
Do you think that would be a good choice?
We were thinking of a place like Calypso Hotel but would like a small kichenett.
We're open to suggestions if anyone could point us in the right direction.
Thanks,
Paul

Paul

I don't think you'll go far wrong with Matala, it's a lovely place not really a village any more. make sure you get over to Red Beach

As for accomodation, there are lots of rooms to let, we paid 25 for a basic ( beautifully clean and well decorated) room in August at 'Angela's' i expect the price will rise for air con etc

hope you enjoy where ever you chose

chris