travel to Crete

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nic_*

Guest_nic_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:19 PM

Hi,
My wife and I are planning on spending 3-4 days in Crete at the beginning of May. We have never been to Greece before and are really looking forward to it. We are still trying to figure out where to go. We are looking for beaches but not a crazy party scene (we are 30 years old). I would like to see some of the landscape and explore the coutryside (etc). From doing a little reading, Hania sounds like a nice town (it's old quarter sounds interesting and it seems close to beaches, the Samaria Gorge National Park). We will be coming from Santorini so most likely will be arriving in Irakilo. Is Hania a good desination? Sitia alos sounds nice but would only be able to do one. We haven't decided on any place yet and are open to suggestions.

Thanks

#2 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 02:24 PM

Hania is a busy city with lots going on, beaches, waterfront with good restaurants, a beautiful old town with better restaurants imho. It's the hub of the bus routes as well

#3 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:19 PM

I know I am biased but why not go east towards to Agios Nikolaos it is easy to get to by bus/taxi from Iraklio whereas Hania is a relatively long journey. Once at Agios Nikolaos you can easily explore the area by bus/car and as the island is so narrow at this end it is easy to get to the south coast too. Visiting Kritsa and other nearby non seaside villages will also give you an insight into the culture that you can never get from sitting besides a pool.

By the way we went to Santorini for a couple of days last October and LOVED it.

#4 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:52 PM

Chania is not a long journey if you fly to Chania Airport! Chania would be my choice if I was in your shoes. Despite pockets of development along the coast to the West of the City the Venetian harbour hold delights and discoveries I have never found anywhere else in Crete. Each to their own, but I love Chania and I'm sure you'd not be disappointed if you chose it as your holiday destination. Were you wanting to stay in the town or at a resort nearby? The stretch from Stalos to Platanias is built up these days but there are lots of lovely less developed places on the Akrotiri Peninsular and slightly inland. If you hire a car, Falasarna on the West Coast is a must. Happy holiday hunting ;)