Crete...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_virtual_eee_*

Guest_virtual_eee_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:55 AM

Oh, I love that place. I love those people. I love that music . I have been travelling around the whole island - I've been there something like six times - and... well, I am looking forward to being there again. The last time I was there was in 2002. I miss Crete, seriously. I just miss everything. I miss the small villages with their kapheneions. I miss the people having a good time dancing on Cretan music. I miss the wind and the spaces and the olive trees and the big noise of the cigadas. I miss driving around. I miss it.

I think I have left somethig down there.

Eitanai mia phora mathia mou... apo tin Italia me agapi. :cry:

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:17 AM

Since you miss Crete so much, then the photo of this week ( www.explorecrete.com/gallery/day/avdou_C3024 ) is dedicated to you. The photo was taken yesterday in the village of Avdou, approx. 15 km south of Hersonissos.
Avdou village and the nearby village of Potamies are both traditional villages worth visiting.
Yesterday it was the first day of the Halcyon days. The weather is sunny and there is no wind. You may read more about the Halcyon days here
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:19 PM

What are you trying to do to us Yannis???!!
Sheila

#4 daveg

daveg

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:28 PM

Yanni!
You were in my village and you never said anything!!
Next time let me know and I'll give you the grand tour and maybe a little Rachi thrown in for good measure!
[Now I've finished picking Olives in Hersonissos of course, Bumper Harvest!]
Sorry I missed you :lol:
DaveG

http://www.cretansales.com/

#5 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:42 AM

Hi Dave,
I come to Avdou once in a while for Rodanthi's omelet and also to meet my friend manolis of Odysseia.
I hope your offer for the grand tour will be valid until the next time I will come again. Hopefull that will be soon.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#6 daveg

daveg

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:29 AM

Ah Yanni
small world! I know Manolis and Sabine quite well I'll bet you were at the wedding last year?
They were kind enough to give me quite a bit of work at the New Stables when we first moved here. They have had a rough time of late with the horses So I hope 2005 turns out better for them.
Rodanthi's Omelet eh! we normally eat there about once a week allways a lovely welcome.And the "New" Rachi is very good.
[I put it down to my afternoon cleaning the pot out!]
Best Wishes
DaveG

http://www.cretansales.com/

#7 Guest_AdrianLA_*

Guest_AdrianLA_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:58 AM

Hello....any recommendations for ways to get to Crete from Hollywood for a May vacation. I'm thinking the 50 minute flight from Athens to Chania could also be accomplished in a ferry? Thank you.

#8 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:09 AM

You may take an airplane either to Heraklion or Chania or travel by ferry to both cities above.
Your choice will depend on how many days of vacation you have available.
Travelling by ferry is less expensive and you travel overnight, so you save the money for the hotel for one night as well.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster