Family resort for a first timer in Crete?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Victor._*

Guest_Victor._*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:44 PM

Hello..

Can someone suggest a resort thats got plenty to do during the day but would suite a Family who appreciate Exellent Greek food at night?

A nice harbour would be a bonus...

Victor.

#2 Guest_MEL2004_*

Guest_MEL2004_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:15 PM

After spending my first visit to Crete in a traditional Greek village called Koutouloufari I would definitely recommend this resort for the type of holiday you're looking for.....it has everything, and it's not too far outside Hersonissos which is busier if you want something more lievly now and again. If you want a taste of the real Greece, go to this village, lots of top class tavernas, and narrow winding streets....so different to a lot of the tacky resorts I've been to!
If ya want any more info or help, just ask! :D

#3 daveg

daveg

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:48 PM

Hi Mel2004 and Victor
I know Koutouloufari quite well and went there recently to a friends wedding reception Yes a very nice pretty place which does cater well for the tourists too
Its a bit of a jaunt If the family wants some beach time aswell though Victor best to budget for car hire! also with a car you have more chance of seeing a REAL "Traditional Greek Village"
DaveG

http://www.cretansales.com/

#4 Guest_MEL2004_*

Guest_MEL2004_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:41 PM

Hi Daveg,
yeah Koutouloufari is a lovely relaxing place, but a bit of a trek to the beach, although as far as I know Stalis beach is nicer than Hersonissos beach....where did you stay in Koutouloufari? We were there in August...great times, especially eating in the famous Galini Restaurant!

#5 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:59 PM

How about Paleochora? Lovely village, two beaches, dozens of tavernas, and well off the beaten track
Sheila

#6 Guest_victor._*

Guest_victor._*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:55 PM

Are ALL the bigger resorts Naff Then?

Thanks for the Info B.T.W.

#7 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 04:32 PM

To be honest, Victor, yes - IMHO all the bigger resorts are pretty naff. But of course they suit a lot of people, and that's one of the great things about Crete: there's something for everyone.

If the kids don't need discos and the like then I'd like to add my vote to Sheila's recommendation of Paleochora.

Henry.

#8 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2004 - 04:46 PM

How about Paleochora? Lovely village, two beaches, dozens of tavernas, and well off the beaten track

Sounds Ideal Sheila...Were do you suggest we stay in the resort?

Do we have to book it privately?...which Airport do you fly into?

Need Input!

Victor.

#9 Guest_fitzy_*

Guest_fitzy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2004 - 08:08 PM

To be honest, Victor, yes - IMHO all the bigger resorts are pretty naff. But of course they suit a lot of people, and that's one of the great things about Crete: there's something for everyone.

If the kids don't need discos and the like then I'd like to add my vote to Sheila's recommendation of Paleochora.

Henry.

AGHIOS NIK IS A ROMANTIC PLACE NOT ALL NAFF .........

#10 daveg

daveg

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:52 PM

Hi Daveg,
yeah Koutouloufari is a lovely relaxing place, but a bit of a trek to the beach, although as far as I know Stalis beach is nicer than Hersonissos beach....where did you stay in Koutouloufari?  We were there in August...great times, especially eating in the famous Galini Restaurant!

Hi Mel2004
I actually live about another 10km's up the road towards the mountains where you can find some "Real" Cretan villages I agree with your point about beaches though. We first stayed on Crete in Stalis/Stalida
at the La Luna Apartments on the main road the family are now great friends and gave us loads of help with our move,Book up now if anyones interested [Libra I think] as they are normally sold out by Christmas!
Lots and lots of return visitors some more than 10years and Madame Xrysoula's BBQ's have to be tasted to be believed The potatoes melt in your mouth!! Very Good people.
DaveG

http://www.cretansales.com/

#11 Guest_MEL2004_*

Guest_MEL2004_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2004 - 11:03 PM

Hi Daveg, well you've no idea how much I envy you living over there! It's a lovely part of the world....and the people are amazing, much more welcoming than the Spanish I met when holidaying there. We didn't do a lot of travelling on our first trip there in August, but hoping to maybe return next summer and tour around, and actually thinking about Stalis, so perhaps I'll check out La Luna - good to have somewhere recommended! Is it expensive/cheap? Although, we'll still be near enough to spend some time in the villages near you. Do you know Adonis Studio Appartments in Koutouloufari? Ah well, a pretty long winter to get through here first!

#12 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:57 AM

Paleochora: the easiest airport for the south-west of Crete is the one outside Chania. There is a good public bus connction between Chania and Paleochora, and unless you travel at the height of the season then my advice is not to book in advance - there's always plenty of accommodation available.

I hope I didn't offend too many by stating that my opinion is that the bigger resorts in Crete are pretty naff. It is entirely my own opinion, and as I said earlier, Crete is plenty big enough to have something for everybody. My guess is that the people who flock to malia would be bored with Paleochora and th other small placses that we go to. Ag Nik is very pretty, but personally I wouldn't want to spend more than a few days there. Long live la difference :D

Henry.

#13 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:19 AM

I agree with you Henry :D i'm a kind of confused Brit/Greek as i love the beach road at Hersonnissos (older clubbers, I'm the good side of 21) than Malia and at the same time love Koutoulafari where i sit and talk and relax with many friends of many years and put the world to rights.
I also love the quiteness and quaintness of places like Agia Galini/Kalo Horia and Falasarnia (probably all spelt wrong).
At the end of the day my many changing feelings depict the life i want and Crete provides ALL that i need.
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#14 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2004 - 01:19 PM

Paleochora: the easiest airport for the south-west of Crete is the one outside Chania. There is a good public bus connction between Chania and Paleochora, and unless you travel at the height of the season then my advice is not to book in advance - there's always plenty of accommodation available.

I hope I didn't offend too many by stating that my opinion is that the bigger resorts in Crete are pretty naff. It is entirely my own opinion, and as I said earlier, Crete is plenty big enough to have something for everybody. My guess is that the people who flock to malia would be bored with Paleochora and th other small placses that we go to. Ag Nik is very pretty, but personally I wouldn't want to spend more than a few days there. Long live la difference  :D  

Henry.

We as a family have never done this type of DIY travel before Henry(always a first time mind)....Can you get the bus direct from the airport to Paleochora then,or is another bus into Chania itself?

BTW...I can only find Exell airways that fly in Chania and cost is 180 each...how come the other big tour operators dont fly there,or thats how it seems that way to me?

Victor.

#15 john4d

john4d

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 04:06 PM

Victor

Many of the big tour companys fly to Chania, but nearly if not all, only from Manchester or Gatwick. Where were you trying to fly from?

John

#16 Guest_Victor_*

Guest_Victor_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2004 - 04:48 PM

From Manchester John.

Can you suggest another airline website with better prices?

Victor.

#17 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:14 PM

Victor: - first, I dont believe theres a bus from Chania airport to the town centre; however, a taxi costs 13 Euro (less then 10), so its not expensive. The bus from Chania to Paleochora costs about 6 E each (each way), whereas a taxi from the airport all the way to Paleochora is in the order of 60 E each way - and will take about an hour and a half. If you are a family of four or five then a taxi may be an option worth serious consideration.

In the season there are quite a few charters flying straight to Chania. This autumn it was very difficult to find one at a sensible price, so we went Olympic Airways from Heathrow via Athens at a cost of about 200 each (theres just Mrs H and lil ole me). Takes a bit longer, but comfortable planes with legroom and semi-edible grub, and can be daytime flights as well. Or fly to Athens with Easyjet, and then sail from Piraeus to Souda (the harbour at Chania), or fly on with Olympic or Agean. As it appens, we decided to extend our stay from two and a half weeks by another week, and it being scheduled flights we were able to do at only a small charge.

Alternatively, get a charter flight to Heraklion - there are many more going there. Then its quite easy to catch a bus from the airport there to the town centre, catch a quick bus from Heraklion to Chania (but be aware: one of the two bus companies that ply this route is somewhat preferable, because they use the main bus station in Chania - the other one dumps you on a building site a little walk away).

Henry.

#18 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 08:34 PM

Dear Henry,
I have removed the links from your message because they promote certain companies. I am sure your intention was to give an idea about the existing offers to Paleochora but similar companies ignore "Explore Crete" altough many times they have used my articles for their own purposes. It is not a problem of these companies specificaly but most travel agents and tour operators in general.
Thank you for your understanding.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#19 Guest_Victor_*

Guest_Victor_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2004 - 08:38 PM

Henry...just been offered this package for 278 pp in late May for 14 nts.

What yer reckon....Any good?

http://www.havania.c...otel.php?l=deu#

Victor.

#20 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:54 PM

Viktor

Ag Nik, to my mind, is just as Henry said. And the area round Elounda is similar.

there are 2 companies in the UK (to my knowledge) which will do accommodatio only stuff or, independently, accommodation, flights and or car hire.

One is Freelance Travel (which I know has places in Paleochora) and the other is Smart Travel.

There's a web site http://www.charterfl...rter_flight.php which gives Charter flights out of Manchester to Chania, if you look.

Yannis, I don't intend to do harm by giving those addresses. If I do, just delete please, and Viktor can send me a PM
Sheila