18 replies to this topic

#1 Angel

Angel

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:33 PM

Am flying in first thing Wednesday (24 Nov) morning, would like to stay down in the old Town area, but don't want to pay a fortune for a single room for 2 nights.... anyone have any suggestions?

#2 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:14 PM

I'm afraid I can't remember the name of area, but ask the taxi-driver from the airport to drop you in the Old Town area just behind the Arsenal (near the Old Harbour, on the west side of it). Plenty of hotels there, covering all prices. Seeing as you should be arriving early in the day you will have plenty of tiume to find accommodation. You won't have any problem at all!

HTH, Henry.

#3 Angel

Angel

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:13 PM

Taxi? nah... I am going to use the bus! this is a cheap and cheerful trip! got other places to visit tool... am looking forward to this. Got a couple job interviews and other things to check!

#4 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 12:52 AM

Nostos above the Harbour. My friend Gina stayed there a couple of years ago, and it was cheap and cheerful. there are some nice B&Bs in that rabbit warren of streets behind the harbour at the west, atht will be very reasonable at this time of year. You'll find somewhere, no sweat.

Oh, wait. I have both Lonely Planet and the Rough Guide. They list:-

Lonely Planet-George's Pension Zambeliou 30; Rooms to Rent Irini, Thotokopoulou 9, Pension Nora, Theotokopoulou 60, Pension Lena, Ritsou 3, Monastiri Pension, Ag Markou 18. Nostos is up a price category

Rough- Stella, Angelou 10, Piraeus, Zambeliu 10, meltemi, Angelou 2, Lucia, Akti Koundouriotou, Eugenia, Theotokopolou, El greco Theotokopolou 49, Artemis, Kondilaki 13

hope this helps.
Sheila

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:42 AM

Maria's by the naval museum is worth a look at.

#6 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:06 PM

If there is a bus between the airport and the town I'd be delighted, and simultaneously kick myself, as Id have used it many times in the past - including as recently as last month. I know theres a bus from Souda and the boats there. But unfortunately Ive never seen one at the Daskalogiannis Airport.

Henry.

#7 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:07 PM

Oh, nearly forgot: very best of luck with the job interviews! Let's know how you fare.

#8 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:22 PM

There is no public bus transport from airport to Hania. Well, not that I know anyway and have use it dozens of times.

#9 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:40 PM

Hi Angel, I am very excited on your behalf, not only you are going to Crete but starting up a new life there... wow! Best wishes with the job interviews from me as well. I'd be very curious to hear from you how it went, and what jobs are you applying for at this time of the year.. I hope to follow in your footsteps in the next few months (probably not it Hania though).

I want to add to this plea that you stay in one of the old hotels around the Hania venetian harbour. Dont remember any names anymore, but in the past I stayed in 2 very charming hotels with real character and it didnt cost me an arm and a leg either.

Have a wonderfull time and good luck with getting a job and all you need to set up in Crete!! :wink:

#10 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 12:27 AM

Angel,

Just in case you pick up this message. Just wondered how your trip is going? :)

#11 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:20 PM

Well when I got in to Hania at 7am there was only one place open and I was too tired to wait. So got a very basic room at the place right next to the Naval Musem (they share a wall). It isn't very warm here but having a good time. Stayed there 2 days and am now in Iraklio (and will call our dear webmaster as soon as I find a room for the next couple days). Will check somewhere different when I go back on Monday.

Had an 'interview' for a volunteer position and if I don't get a paid job, will take that, it includes room & board until June and a little money at the end.

Have an interview for a 'real' job on Tuesday and still waiting to hear on the other job, she hasn't called me.

It is so wonderful being here knowing this is the first step in my move here!

Still haven't found any storage for my boxes (about 40 I think when I get done packing my house) in case I don't get a job....

#12 Angel

Angel

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:21 PM

p.s. that last Guest entry is mine, forgot that I don't log in automaticly at a net cafe :>

#13 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 03:28 PM

Glad you got there in one piece. I dont know Heraklion at all, apart from the airport. When you were in Xania, did you stay in the rooms above the Meltemi Cafe? What sort of work are you looking for Angel?

#14 Angel

Angel

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 03:40 PM

Yes that is the one! :>

I won't have a problem with finding a place here in Iraklio, stay here a lot....

Looking for just about any job, something that will pay the bills, but allow me to enjoy life.... Administrative I think. That is what I am interviewing for on Tuesday.

#15 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 05:38 PM

Meltemi, thats it! Thats where I stayed too, it was a pleasant place. Good luck again, Angel, with those interviews, keep us posted, I am foolowing your footsteps :)

#16 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 04:13 PM

Hi Angel

Just wanted to say Good Luck for your job interview tomorrow. Hope it all goes well. :)

#17 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 02:24 PM

Hi Angel, hope things are going well for you. I just found this website about moving to Crete, it has quite interesting information, perhaps you find it helpfull.
http://www.geocities...rete/index.html

#18 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:42 PM

Hi Angel, to say i'm envious would be an understatement but wishing you every success too, as i'm interested in living in Crete and at this moment would work in any situation given to reasonable pay (enough to live and pay bills) this country i'm in is getting worse and i'm missing the Cretan lifestyle also would like to know where you started your search and whether you had contacts.
you can e-mail me privately if it helps.
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#19 Angel

Angel

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:50 AM

Well I am back. Won't know how good I did in my interview until next week but it was strange, different than anything I have done before. He didn't speak very good English and the person that interviewed me was prepared as someone else was suppose to interview me.... I only hope it is positive!

But no matter what, am moving over in the New Year! Creta is something speical and I have never felt so alive as when I was there.... :>

The way I found out about the job was via an Internet discussion group.... But I did bring home 2 newspapers that I was told good to help find a job and a place to live. All in Greek of course so will dig out the big dictionary (and probably use the web too) and see what I can find out!