working in crete next summer

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_princessneimh_*

Guest_princessneimh_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:22 AM

hi..me and my friends were on holidays i crete during the summer...we loved it so much were goin back to crete for the summer next year i was wondering if there is any irish people willing to inform me of the do's and don'ts etc...of working in crete.....please

#2 Christine

Christine

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:22 PM

Ok!!
So im not irish, but i thought ill write to ya anywayz..
I`ve been to hersonissos the last 4 years now, and this summer was my first one workin... i spent 4 months this summer.
I worked as a bartender/waitress in a bar called Escape just across from blarney stone and boomerang.
It was a good laugh, but harder than expected... the greek bosses r not to b messed with. Its their way or the high way.. well at least my boss..
But sum of me friends had really nice bosses... i think the boss in shenanigans was ok!!..

The best thing for u`s 2 do, is to book one week package trip, and look for a job and accommodation durin that time.
U beein irish, its easy 4 ya to find a job, cause the irish bars mainy wants irish staff.

The earlier in the season ya get there, the easier u`ll get a job.
Wot ya do is jst to go around to the bars, or where ever ya wanna work,and just ask if they need staff...
And the cheapest and nicest appt r up in koutolofari, and piskipiano..
the rent starts from 200-700 euro, depends on how big and nice ya want it. But the normal rent is 300 euro.
Myself and my best friend paid 300 euro a month devided on 2, that included a bedroom, a kitchen, and a bathroom.. it was average size.
it was 4-5 min from the street, and there were mainly irish ppl that lived there. And the foam party staff..

hope this was at any help to ya...

christine

#3 Guest_Jacqui_*

Guest_Jacqui_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:14 AM

Hi,
Myself and my friends are also going to crete for the summer and i was just wondering what the average rate of pay is, i know its probably crap but is it enough to live on??
Thanx ,
Jacqui (Eire)

#4 Nick

Nick

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:17 AM

I think the prices are logical and definately much cheaper than in Ireland.

#5 Christine

Christine

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:14 PM

Well it depends on where ye work... I got paid 30 euros(nd got to keep the tips 4 meself) in may/june.. But in july/august the pay was 40 euros..
but i knew sum ppl who got paid 50 euros durin the peak season, but i wudnt count ur lucky stars on that ;)
to sum it up, the normal pay is roun 25-40 euros...

Good luck to ye, nd when r ya headin down..??

xxx,
Chris

#6 tinatoon

tinatoon

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:47 PM

I know a lot of rookies who only got 20 euros, and in the highseason 25.
Myself, I've got the greatest job ever, made 75-100 euros in the highseason, hihihi. But that is way more then a bartender or kamaki normally do, so DEFINATELY don't count on that!

#7 Christine

Christine

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:05 PM

Hehehe, well Tina Ye r one luck B***h..... ;) we r not all as lucky as u...:(
How r ya?? R ye goin down again??
Im goin down again early june with maria, but i ye probobly already know that ;)

#8 tinatoon

tinatoon

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:42 PM

Hihihihi, HI Christine!

I'm bored, it's winter, U know... :?
Right now I'm planning 3 years of studies in NL. So I want 2 sort that out first with applications, translating grades, Cambridges exams, getting an apartment and so on. When all that is organized, I'll probably take a Young by Apollo down, 22 or 29 of May.
It's so easy going 2 Crete nowadays, don't need 2 organize a lot. I have my apartment and I have my job, or else I know where 2 find new ones anyway.
Knew both of U R going down, or I knew Maria was and I took for granted U R 2, hahahaha! :wink:
Didn't know U were gonna go together though.

C U soon probably, kisses! ;)

#9 Nick

Nick

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:37 PM

Hello Tina and Christine, how r u girls?

#10 tinatoon

tinatoon

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:09 PM

Hi Niko.

Everything is just the same, winter depression you know... And some features doesn't work on my favourite website, the new messages who arrived in the forum doesn't "blink"... ;)

#11 nookie

nookie

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:42 PM

I want to come out and work this summer but i dont have a clue how to go about it !!!!!!!! I just loved it out there, the atmosphere is a buzz and so are the irish people ;)

#12 Christine

Christine

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:56 PM

Tina-
I know da Feeling, im soooo sick nd tired of everything, there`s nothing o do AT ALL... i miss the sun, the drinking, the party!!!!
Ahhhhh, bring on the summer ;);)
Wot r ye plannin 2 study??
Okies so ill def see ya down there this summer then;) so ye r gonna work in NRG again??
Havent a clue on where to work this summer, im not gonna work in ESCAPE thats 4 sure....
Well we r not gonna travel down 2gether, she`ll arive a week, not more than 2 weeks b4 me....
But we`re plannin on living together...

Hope ye get everything sorted out with school nd all...
talk with ye later ;)

#13 Christine

Christine

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:58 PM

Hiya Nikos!!!!

Im good thanx, hows u??
I miss crete like crazy theese days, sooo sick nd tired of everything.
Counting the months till im back in crete... woohoo, bring on da party;);)
So have ye been on holidays yet??

#14 tinatoon

tinatoon

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:04 PM

I'm planning to study Linguistics and Creative writing.

As I said, nothing is 4 sure yet, but if I go down I hope ad plan 2 work @ NRG yes. Best place ever, best staff and best bosses. No doubt. ;)

#15 Guest_kieran_*

Guest_kieran_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:58 PM

Hows it going everyone,

Im headin back to crete in the last two weeks in july cant wait was there last year and stayed in the marni village. Its a deadly place, any of you's ever work in players thats the one bar myself and my mates loved.

Cant wait to get back over there and run a muck !!! again. its a crazy spot

#16 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2005 - 07:23 PM

hey kieran...tell me more about marni village? What are the staff like - strict? Clean etc? I'm going to stay there this yr last weeks of july, cant wait!

#17 Christine

Christine

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:39 PM

Hiya Kiaran!!!

Im grand, but bored!!! Cant wait to head down ta crete again... Have ta agree with ye, hersonissos is the best spot, LUV it;);)
Me best friend worked in players, but she quit in the last week of june(or was it tehe 1 week of july).
But players is deadly, luv the cheap 2 for 1 policy, nd since i knew the bartenders nd Dika(the guy outside), i got the drinks even cheaper than that;);)

Anywayz hope ye have fun in july, nd who knows i might see ye there...

#18 maria

maria

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:42 PM

TINA N CHRISTINE!!!!

OMG r u's 2 c...s havin yer own site where ye can talk shite WITHOUT ME?????? :evil:

TO ALL OF U THATS THINKIN OF WORKIN OVR IN CRETE THIS SUMMER!!
Stop worryin...book yer flight n hotel, n if ye havnt got a place to work or live after a week, ur probably 2 ugly.

#19 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:48 PM

have'nt you been married off yet......................must be some poor bloke who'll take you off the streets
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#20 tinatoon

tinatoon

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:19 PM

Shit Christine, she found us, we need to find another forum, quick, I'll send you a pm about where to meet! :wink:

Maria, honestly, you're KILLING me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: