#1 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:44 PM

Hello all 

it has been quite a while since I posted. Although I do drop in from time to time. 

this time I am going to Crete from June 22nd until July 13th. Three weeks of bliss. 

We are going to 4 different places Georgioupolis, Agia Galini, Paleochora and Chania. we have never been to Georgioupolis before and looking forward to it. 10 weeks from yesterday. the countdown started. And so 

Pam if you still go to Kalives beach in the afternoons let me know. we could call down to see you both. 

and if anyone has any  interesting suggestions, places or things to do around the places we will be I would be delighted if you would share them. 

Very best regards to all 

Kieran 

#2 Gefira

Gefira

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:40 PM

My wife and I frequent Georgioupoli (Your You Polly) and Kalyves fairly often as we live 15 minutes away. We also, often, have Sunday breakfast in Almyrida.

In Georgioupoli I recommend Stelios Bar for a real English breakfast. (It's between the "Samaria" and "Sinatras" off a corner of the square.) For lunch try "The Sunlight" on the sea front. For dinner try the "Plateia" near the supermarket off the square.

In Almyrida, "Francoise" do (in our opinion) the best "English" breakfast and the "Psaros" do nice meals.

In Kalyves, the "Mythos" does nice Greek meals at very reasonable prices.

Note: there are many other establishments, too!

#3 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

Hi, Kieran - sorry for the delay in replying, but we have been somewhat preoccupied with a sick cat ( got hit by a car and was partially paralyzed, but thankfully is now improving).  Yes, at that time of year we'll be on the beach at the cantina most afternoons, but best to check with us in case we have other plans.  Let me know if you need our contact details and I'll PM them to you.

Looking forward to seeing you both again.

Pam

#4 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:02 PM

Hi Gefira

many thanks for the proper pronunciation of Georgioupoli, I was pronuncing in phonically in engilsh. We will certainly look into your recommendations. we have 7 weeks to go from today. and so looking forward to it. sure you neb#ver know we might see you at breakfast somewhere..  

Hi Pam ..

how are you? all good I hope. WE have never been to Georgioupoli and I imagine we will explore there. i am not sure how far it is from Kalyves. so we will see how it goes.

take care

Kieran

#5 Gefira

Gefira

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

Georgioupoli is around half an hour's drive from Kalyves, dependent on sheep, raki-filled farmers and losing your way.

#6 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:42 PM

Hi Gefira

I have been looking at my holiday details and see I will be staying in Exopoli. I think. It is probably three or four km from Georgioupolis.
Can you tell me if it is a hard walk, Ie. Uphill?. I was thinking I might need to hire a car to get around a bit.
Please advise, parakalo

Regards

Kieran

#7 Gefira

Gefira

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:06 PM

We have at least one friend in Exopoli. What's the name of the place where you'll be staying?

It's downhill all the way from there to Georgioupoli. Coming back, some sections are a bit steep, although plenty of people do it on foot, with a bottle of water in hand.

Some people just use a taxi. If that's the only journey you plan to make, it's a lot cheaper than hiring a car.

Another alternative is to hire scooters in Georgioupoli. I use a 50cc motorbike, which manages to pull my fat tummy up the hills!

And another alternative is to get a lift from a friendly local or a tourist.

#8 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:08 PM

we stayed in piscopiano a couple of times and the hill after a day on the beach or travelling was a bit of a killer. we dont mind walking within reason.but you know with the heat etc ... it aint easy. we expect to chill out seeing its the start of the holiday. but we rreally dont do pools and hanging out. we like to explore and wander about. and if the hill is hard going well i suppose we will see how that goes. bikes in Crete aint an option ... lol..

we give the walking a try. can you tell me how far it is from Georgioupoli to Expoli 2, 3 4 km ??   at least we will be a little prepared. 

anyway we are really looking forward to the holiday... the weather here in Cork is pretty bad at the moment. i need sun on me back lol 

#9 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:48 AM

Sorry I did not get back to you Gefira.  We are staying in the Alkion and yes it is in Exopoli. i have been doing a little research (Google Earth) and the road does not seem to be too bad. we could walk that no bother. Having seen a more that a few accidents on motor bikes, i will not be doing that lol. maybe i could get a backer off ya on the bike lol  

#10 Gefira

Gefira

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:26 PM

I'm up and down that road every other day on my motorbike. I've come off three times: once on a slippery wet road in winter and twice after alcohol! But never on that particular road. I now avoid all liquids when riding. ;)