#1 ronanXdaire

ronanXdaire

Tourist

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are travelling to Crete on the 26th of august for a week. We are staying in Rethymnon. We both are 22, outgoing, love adventures and getting up to fun. We are looking for a relaxing romantic holiday but with fun day time activities.
From online research we would like to do a few excursions like the boat trip to Spinalonga, the Rethymno to Santorini Island Cruise where we can swim in the hot springs by the volcano. We also want to go to a water park one of the days. Dose anyone have tips on avoiding the expensive tour company's.
I also have a full driving licence but ill only be 22, will that matter? Dose anyone have a contact for reasonable car hire?

We are also not really looking for a crazy "drinking/singles" type holiday as we've both been on them before. Where are these kinds of places typically found so we can avoid.
This time we are looking for nice places to visit,we love eating out and trying new cuisine, and perhaps the odd night out drinking. Where would the best dance clubs be, which play good dance music? We would be into house, deep house, techno. I heard NRG in Hersonissos is a good club for underground music but could someone advice?

Thanks so much in advance :)

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

If you are in Crete for a week then I think doing both Santorini and Spinalonga will take a big chunk of time.  Day trips to Santorini are advertised but there is so much to see there I think you need 2 or 3 nights.

Spinalonga is certainly worth doing - you might like the guidebook by Beryl Derby so you understand what you are seeing in advance.  From Rethimno take a bus to Agios Nikolaos via Heraklion.  You can either take a long boat trip from Agios Nikolaos (leaves at 12.00) or at the Agios Nikolaos bus station take another bus to Elounda for a shorter boat trip OR stay on the bus to Plaka for the shortest boat trip.

KTEL buses in Crete are air conditioned coaches, comfortable for long journeys and much cheaper than coach tours.  Overnight accomodation in Rent Rooms are circa €40 so I'd rather stay overnight and enjoy a longer stay than rush there and back in one day.  Whilst travelling in the bus you will  get a fab view of the Cretan coastline.

I'm not the right person to comment on the music scene so I hope someone else can help. What ever you do have a fab time and perhaps make a post here.

Best wishes x

Kritsa Yvonne

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

Agree with Yvonne - a week  in Crete is far too short a time to think about clearing off to Santorini.

You might struggle to get advice on your type of music here, all I can offer is that you are unlikely to find it in the south of the island . Probably most likely found Heronnisos  and Malia area would be my guess- though I haven't a clue what NRG is to be honest.

Re hire cars, suggest you look for some adds on this site and email asking for rates and conditions

#4 ronanXdaire

ronanXdaire

Tourist

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Thanks guys for your advice. Is there a top 5 must see's in Crete? We are starting to plan our week now. Is there any good traditional Greek restaurants in Rethymnon or good restaurants around Rethymnon?

My girlfriend (Daire) loves the white sand beaches, are these along the north coast or could someone recommend one of these lush beaches? While on the topic on beaches we are also interested in visiting au naturel beach, could someone point us in the direction of a nice one? 

I also want a romantic surprise for Daire as well, could someone recommend a romantic location where i could bring a picnic or so watching the sunset or other suitable suggestions? 

I will read on about Spinalonga and will take Kritsa's advice on doing it.

Thanks so much, im looking forward to Crete by the second :)

#5 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Hope you have a grand time x
Kritsa Yvonne