1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrea

Andrea

Tourist

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

Hi everyone, my boyfriend and I would like to come to Crete for the harvest period, can someone write anything on this topic. plz? I read soo many stories about how difficult it is to find job in Crete, but I am persistant gal, I don't give up, untill I find something. So, is there any chance we can find work, any work, and where? I have a lot of experience in tourism and bartending/waitressing, also fruit picking and my main occupation is art, graphic design, video production and motion graphic. For start, we would work anything we get our hands on. Best regards and thanks :)

#2 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Andrea,

The fact that no one has replied in over a week probably tells you all you need to know.

Work in Crete is very hard to find at the moment. The main harvest is olives and this is mainly a family affair with every family member, from the youngest to the oldest, all helping. It is rare, in my neck of the woods, for outside help to be asked for let alone paid for.. 

The only work I have heard of recently is a local all inclusive hotel which needs waitresses. The hours are 10am to 9pm seven days a week until early October. They want Russian/Greek speakers and the pay is the princely sum of 500 Euros per month! (1.62 Euros per hour!). I have no idea if food is provided but accommodation is certainly not and this would cost you around 2-300 Euros per month to rent somewhere. 

I'm sorry to paint such a bleak picture but times really are tough here at the moment.

John

Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.