#1 Timothy

Timothy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:58 PM

Hello,

Anyone know if you can fish the reservoir just north east of Voleones.

Sorry I did try and Google the name of the reservoir but couldn't find it anywhere.

I notice a car and coach park to the North East.

We are planning a picnic day there and thought I'd try my luck.

Many thanks

Tim

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:51 PM

I think it is called Potamon, and/ or Potamoi Dam- but cannot find anything suggesting there may be fishing there I'm afraid.

#3 Timothy

Timothy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:04 AM

Hello Tim,

Many thanks for the reply.

I was just pondering about fishing there as the wife has indicated no toilets :(

I just didn't want to go there and throw a rod out and find I didn't have the right permits. Don't want to get in trouble..

I will e-mail Crete Gov and see what if. If no reply There is plenty else to do.

Many thanks again for reply.

Much appreciated.

Timothy

#4 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

Hi, Tim and welcome to the forum.  We live here and went to the Potamos reservoir a couple of times last summer.  It's a lovely spot and there is a kafenion there with an adequate toilet - a very pleasant place to sit and look at the reservoir over a drink.  Haven't seen anybody there fishing yet, though there are plenty of places where it looks as though you could throw a line in.  Bit hazy on the rules though - you can fish from quaysides here into the sea without any license, but not sure about inland waters. Hope you have a lovely time and I'm sure the west won't disappoint - we went all over Crete before deciding on where to live in our retirement and finally settled on an inland village near Kalyves and are very happy here. If you let us know where you're staying we could suggest a few trips that wouldn't be too taxing for your wife's hips - my problem is my knees and vertigo, but we still manage to do a bit.

All the best.

Pam & Bob 

#5 Timothy

Timothy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

Hello Pam & Bob,

Many kind thanks for the reply. Really appreciated.

I have sent a couple of e-mails off. But to be honest I think they may have read and overlooked it. Not exactly the most important question for them and I bet they get 1,000s of spam e-mails to trawl through, so really easily missed as a genuine one. I much prefer phones to be honest :)

I will ask reception to investigate further. It really is not the end of the world. Just fancied a day there.. We will defiantly visit if just sight seeing. Good news about the kafenion, we always found the ones in the mountains to be so welcoming and informative. Really makes the holiday for us.

We are staying at Rithymna Beach Hotel. Not my cup of tea as I like a beach cove or bay in the evenings. But it seemed to be located well, as we travel and explore every day in the hire car and not at the hotel during the day anyways.

Really looking forward to exploring the West side of Crete.

Again many thanks for your reply.

Tim

#6 Timothy

Timothy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

Ah ha,

Just so others know.

My wife has found out this is a nature reserve area and no fishing is allowed.

Hope this may help anyone else thinking of taking their fishing cap..

Going to go there anyway for the views.

Thanks for all the help and replies above.