#1 Timothy

Timothy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:40 PM

Hello,

Before I ask any questions on the forum, I thought it would be polite to introduce myself first. I appreciate the forum takes time to run etc and of course I must admit that like others, I am planning my trip and seeking advise for my own trip, but hopefully my questions and respected answers may help others in the future.

We have been to Crete once before. Stayed at Ibrostar Mirabello in Havania, near Akios Nikolas (East Crete)

Ventured out all the way to Vai, and also went to all the beaches along the way..

Also ventured to Irepetra. Yes I also took the Coast road after all the way along the South East as I love to explore more.

We also visited all the Cretin Villages, even those which are free to visit and not tourist based you can see from the roads.

Went up to the Plateau three times. Visited the wonderful Spinalonga & took a boat from Plaka. Also did Phaphos.

My Uncle & Aunt have an apartment in Elundia, which is a beautiful place.

Well that's the introduction.... Seen East Crete, now going west !

Kind regards

Tim

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:55 PM

Welcome!

I look forward to hearing about your excursions in the West.

Kritsa Yvonne

#3 Timothy

Timothy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:09 AM

Hello Krista,

Yes, I will try and inform as best I can on my experience of West Crete.

But two weeks to fly out, I am thinking I should have stayed East.

It is such a lovely adorable place !

I can see why my Uncle retired there :D

#4 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

Cheer up Timothy - the West is great. The major towns are good (Chania is a place I could happily live in), and the White Mountains are big, strong and powerful.

The south west is what Crete is all about for me. The north coast, particularly to the west of Chania, is very touristy. But travel to the south coast and check out Chora Sfakion, Loutro, Sougia, Aghia Roumeli (at the end of the Samaria Gorge), and Paleohora (my favourite place). Get on the boat at Chora Sfakion, and go west.

But whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Crete is such a wonderful place!

#5 Timothy

Timothy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

Hello Henry,

Many thanks for the reply.

Your reply was just what I was looking for. Thanks ever so much.

I will google all the places you listed as I love to discover and see the island away from the touristy areas.

Had such a wonderful time in Crete last year, couldn't think of anywhere better to go..

I chill out not at the pool, but rather exploring and sightseeing the history and views.

I will indeed head South West and explore the locations you have suggested, quite frankly I am excited and really looking forward to seeing them.

All the best and many kind thanks.

Tim