• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

I've had this interesting site brought to my attention so if you are thinking of walking the Samaria Gorge this year you could make it pay!

www.walkthegorge.com

If you do then let us know how you got on.

Kritsa Yvonne

#2 Timothy

Timothy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

Hello,

Followed that link. Looks great.

However, I do have a question I can't seem to find answered there.

My wife can walk great if there is no up hill incline. Just trying to find out which area of the gorge is relatively flat in incline.

We will have a hire car, so if anyone could suggest a start point and bus back that would be tremendously received.

Walking on an uneven surface is not a problem. Just hips won't allow to go up too many steps.

Many thanks to any that can offer advice.

Tim

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:14 PM

The Samaria Gorge starts at Omalos at a height of 1250 meters and runs down 18 k to the village of Agia Roumeli where you catch the ferry. Most go to Omalos via a coach which then goes down to Hora Sfakion to await their clients doing the walk and catching the ferry from Ayia Roumeli.
I have walked it once but now stand no chance of doing it again I cannot recall if it took four or six hours, but it was hard work and my hips weren't knackered then.parts of the downhill leg, the wooden steps are a killer for some. I don't think it wise for anyone to try coming down unless they can walk that sort of distance over rough ground . There are no part way entry points, you either start at the top and go down, or if you are very hardy, the bottom and go up. There is a shortened version for the less able, from Agia Roumeli, known as Samaria Gorge the easy way, which is a walk from AR up a few k to the bottom of the gorge, but that still can be a challenge. You would have to take the ferry to Agia Roumeli, there is no road there. Lots of info available via google and some elsewhere on here if I recall.
The other Tim

#4 Timothy

Timothy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:18 AM

Tim,

Thanks ever so much that is just the information I was looking for.

"Agia Roumeli" Walk from "AR" & Ferry.

I will google your destinations and work from there.

Basically, I don't want to ask for sympathy but my wife finds steps upwards hard on her hips.

What you have provided is fantastic as I can now google those areas to bits and plan ahead.

Really is truly appreciated !

Off to good old google to plan ahead :D

Many kind thanks,

Timothy (AKA Tim but don't want to confuse the forum users lol)