#1 martin6b

martin6b

Tourist

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

Hi Everyone,

Booked first holiday in Crete in May for 2 weeks, staying at Iberostar by Panormos.

Looking forward to some decent sunshine and warmer climes just about had it with this winter,

Any recommendations for sightseeing without a car as I dont want to be driving this holiday.

Is the bus service reliable along between Heraklion and Rethimnon and can you get a weekly pass whilst we are there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Any places od special interest along that coast we should try and get to, again by public transport.

Martin6b

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

The Ktel bus service is excellent between Heraklion and Rethimnon (and many other places).  I've not heard of weekly passes, although last year they did start doing return tickets. (might have done so before but it was the first time i'd come across them).

Hope you have fun - remember to post an update!

Kritsa Yvonne

#3 Steve Daniels

Steve Daniels

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

If you are interested in wildlife the latest Crete Nature blog features the wetlands at Almyros (Gazi-Heraklion) which is accessible by bus and well worth a visit. Take the Heraklion bus and get off at Gazi then either find a bus going to Ammoudara or take a taxi (it's only a few km) from gazi. There is a location map on the blog page. http://cretenature.b...c-wetlands.html

Enjoy your holiday.

#4 jdnlace

jdnlace

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

Hi Martin and Angela coming to Vritomatis for the first time (well first time) we would welcome some recommendations for our stay there

#5 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

Are you going to have call hire car or rely on buses ?
Kritsa Yvonne

#6 jdnlace

jdnlace

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:15 PM

We have hired a car as we have a long trek across the island and the bus and taxi are too expensive

#7 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

Obviously everyone is different but Asia Galini, Plakias, Hora Sfakia, Frankokestelli and Paleochora would be high on my list. Tip - take a boat from Plakias to Prevelli rather than drive as it saves a trek to the beach.

I'd not do Sahara Gorge until the heat and tourist numbers subside.

Check out this fab Web site for more suggestions.

Whatever you do have a fab time and let us know how you get on.

BTW I thought Vitromartis had closed down so is good to hear it is still open.
Kritsa Yvonne

#8 jdnlace

jdnlace

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:09 PM

Thank you Yvonne we will give the Gorge a miss, not sure our knees would take the trek. The idea of taking a boat appeals to us but we have seen a report that local trips cost in the region of 160 euro, is that report right?

7 days to go and counting the minutes until we get there and enjoy some real Zatziki and a well earned break.

Vitromatis is still there and taking bookings, they even sent us a new set of photos as they have (apparently) planted more flowers.

#9 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

How did your holiday go? Hope you had a good time and found out that boat trips cost circa 15€.
Kritsa Yvonne