• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Whilst trawling the web for information about certain people and places I came across two sites that I think may appeal to wider audiences.

The first is a site which I think is run by Papa Andreas Kefaliogiannis from Anogia, a gentle and welcoming bear of a man whom I have met on a couple of occasions. I was introduced to him by our webmaster Yannis in 2005 and photos of that occasion are elsewhere on this website.

More recently, just before Easter, I met him again in Anogia. A man who is passionate about his flock,his village, his church, his country..and football!  I remember asking him how a visitor to Anogia could buy a coffee of drink of some sort for those who had shown their generosity in buying a stranger such a drink, He said 'it is not possible'. Have a look through http://www.anogi.gr/...es/category/νέα  to see more of him and what is going on in Anogia- it seems the snows came last night..

Through that website I came across a Cretan walking/climbing club website and, lo and behold, they have some of their routes shown in series of photographs, and one of them is the Anogia to Psiloriti leg taken by the Kreipe abduction party. See http://www.fysi.gr/i...omes&Itemid=171 for a series of photos taken quite recently.  If you follow the sequence, a few past the church shows a small cave and this is where the Kreipe party met up with local andartes before setting off across Psiloriti - it is one of the few caves that I have managed to visit although my more able walking colleagues (described by a well known American extreme runner friend as two people who should come with a health warning they walk so fast even he had trouble keeping up) have now found all caves bar one (and we think we now know where that one is)

There are also some great videos on you tube of village music and dancing, using a Greek keyboard option seems to turn up so much more than when you search in English.

Enjoy

Tim