5 replies to this topic

#1 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Sadly, I've had to delete all the photographs that I had uploaded on this site to my gallery over the years (nearly 250 images!). I've had so many Crete photographs stolen by other companies and websites recently and there's a good chance a lot of them could have been taken from the gallery I had on here.

If anyone wishes to check if their images have also been stolen, try Google Images

https://www.google.co.uk/imghp

Have two windows open, one with your photograph on and one with Google Images search open. Drag your photograph from one window, into the Google Image Search box and it will search on that image and tell you if that image is being used on any other webpage.

I've had to tackle Olympic Holidays this year as they stole two of my photographs (they admitted it in the end and paid me for the right to use them), several other travel companies have also stolen and used my photographs without permission (on their own websites and on Facebook too). I have learned how to issue DMCA takedown notices in order to get sites to remove the stolen content.

I think it's disgusting that companies will steal photographs rather than taking their own pictures, like they should. I've had to heavily watermark all of the photographs on my own website to try and deter these people. I hate having to do that though, as it looks awful.
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Sorry to hear that as I, as I am sure many others, have enjoyed your pics over the years.You will be missed!!!! xx
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

I'll still be on the forum (I love Crete far too much to leave here!), and all my photos are still available on my own website (but rather heavily watermarked) Here

I'm very grateful for Google images for people to be able to check to see if their photographs are being used by those who have no rights to use them. Many have told me just to take it as flattery. No, it's theft!!

#4 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the alert Tinks, I have found one of my pictures on this site

http://www.okeanis.n...en-op-kreta.php

so will now be contacting them - I have never sold a photo so what is a good price to request?

Thanks
Kritsa Yvonne

#5 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

Sorry to hear your photography has been stolen! You'll need to issue them with a DMCA takedown notice if they refuse to pay you for your unauthorised image use. Bear in mind if your image has been stolen by a business, they are making money out of your photo and should pay up accordingly if they still want to continue using it.

Try sending this to the domain, or find who is hosting it (through a Who IS search) and send to the host of the domain. ( http://www.whois.com/whois/okeanis.nl A WHO IS search of the website you mention shows the host of the website that has stolen your image is http://vevida.com/en

I got this information with one of the first images that I had to get removed from a website. I hope this helps you! Give me a yell if you need any more help, I've had to do this many times now. A DMCA takedown notice can be filled in as follows:

- YOU MUST SUBSTITUTE THE FOUR ITEMS IN [BRACKETS] WITH THE APPROPRIATE INFORMATION. You must also include current contact information, and if available, an email address and phone number. An email address by itself is not sufficient contact information.

- Your notification must include a direct link (URL) to each claim of infringement. We cannot remove documents based on keywords, search terms, titles, author name, cover design, or resemblance to another document.

========== BEGIN SAMPLE DMCA TAKEDOWN NOTICE ==========

Attn: Copyright Agent, [HOST].

Pursuant to 17 USC 512©(3)(A), this communication serves as a statement that:

• I am [the exclusive rights holder | the duly authorized representative of the exclusive rights holder] for [title of copyrighted material being infringed upon, and, if possible, additional identifying information such as ISBNs, publication dates, etc — or, if the material is a web page, the URL];
  • These exclusive rights are being violated by material available upon your site at the following URL(s): [URLs of infringing material];
  • I have a good faith belief that the use of this material in such a fashion is not authorized by the copyright holder, the copyright holder's agent, or the law;
  • Under penalty of perjury in a United States court of law, I state that the information contained in this notification is accurate, and that I am authorized to act on the behalf of the exclusive rights holder for the material in question;
  • I may be contacted by the following methods (include all): [physical address, telephone number, and email address];
I hereby request that you remove or disable access to this material as it appears on your service in as expedient a fashion as possible. Thank you.

Regards,
[your full legal name]

========== END SAMPLE DMCA TAKEDOWN NOTICE ==========

#6 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

Great info Tinks, never really thought this would be going on but thanks for enlightening us ;-)
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.