#1 Johan kai Ann

Johan kai Ann

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

Hello friends,

in a couple of weeks we 'll be goig to our beloved island of Crete.
We have a holliday house in Sissi.
It will be the first time that we go by car.
We drive from Belgium to Ancona. There we take the boat to Patras.
We will spend one day near and visiting Olympia and the continue to Pireaus.
There we take the boat to Iraklio.
We have booked with Anek but the boats are Superfast VI (Ancona-Patras) and Olympic Champion (Piraeus- Iraklio).
Can you explain us where we have to present ourselves in Ancona and Pireaus?
Could you also give us advice and do's and dont's when going aboard?

Efcharisto poly!
Johan

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:08 AM

Hello,

We have made a similar trip many times and have just arrived in Crete - I will send you a PM.

Regards Yvonne
Kritsa Yvonne

#3 Johan kai Ann

Johan kai Ann

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hello,

We have made a similar trip many times and have just arrived in Crete - I will send you a PM.

Regards Yvonne

Hi,

the information was very useful.
Efcharisto poly.
I will post our experiences when we get back.

Best regards,
Johan

#4 Johan kai Ann

Johan kai Ann

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

Yasou,

we 're back in Belgium for a couple of weeks now.
The trip to Crete by car went very well and the information was very useful indeed.
The Gotthard tunnel was no problem. We were there at 3 am on Saturday 30-07. We lost only 20 minutes there.
Then I made the mistake to rest for 2 hours in Italy. When we started driving again Italy had turned into one big trafic jam!
I drove as fast as I could and we arrived on time in the port.
It was a good tip to take luggage for 1 day in a separate bag.
The boat (Super fast VI) was very luxurious. Relaxing at last!
We spent one day at the Peloponessos, in Olympia. Very impressive.
Then to Athens where we saw the Acropolis from the outside and consecutively to Pireas where we took the Olympic Champion to Crete.

I read that you stay in Kritsa. We stay in Sissi. That is not so far. We go shopping in the Lidl a couple of times when we're there.
Lovely area. It makes me start dreaming that I was there.

Thanks again! Efcharisto poly!Attached File  DSC05559.JPG   2.28MB   6 downloadsAttached File  DSC05520.JPG   2.1MB   4 downloads
Johan

#5 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yasou,

we 're back in Belgium for a couple of weeks now.
The trip to Crete by car went very well and the information was very useful indeed.
The Gotthard tunnel was no problem. We were there at 3 am on Saturday 30-07. We lost only 20 minutes there.
Then I made the mistake to rest for 2 hours in Italy. When we started driving again Italy had turned into one big trafic jam!
I drove as fast as I could and we arrived on time in the port.
It was a good tip to take luggage for 1 day in a separate bag.
The boat (Super fast VI) was very luxurious. Relaxing at last!
We spent one day at the Peloponessos, in Olympia. Very impressive.
Then to Athens where we saw the Acropolis from the outside and consecutively to Pireas where we took the Olympic Champion to Crete.

I read that you stay in Kritsa. We stay in Sissi. That is not so far. We go shopping in the Lidl a couple of times when we're there.
Lovely area. It makes me start dreaming that I was there.

Thanks again! Efcharisto poly!Attached File  DSC05559.JPG   2.28MB   6 downloadsAttached File  DSC05520.JPG   2.1MB   4 downloads
Johan

Sorry that I missed seeing your post - good to hear all went well for you. We are thinking about visiting Olympia this time but will give Athens a miss.

Best wishes, Yvonne
Kritsa Yvonne

#6 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

Sorry that I missed seeing your post - good to hear all went well for you. We are thinking about visiting Olympia this time but will give Athens a miss.

Best wishes, Yvonne

Hi Yvonne

Just an idea: if you wanted, perhaps you could do a trip to Athens from Olympia on the train, should you wish to pay a visit to this great city (I went to Athens in November, had a fantastic time 2500 years after the Battle of Marathon, the new Acropolis museum is fantastic).

I did a bit of training in the Peloponnese in 1999, including Olympia, and is was great fun and quite cheap. In particular, part of the journey from Tripolis to Argos was amazing, no roads and not much vegetation, like driving on a dead and rocky planet.

FWIW, I found Olympia more appealing than Delfi; perhaps not least because the much smaller number of visitors allowed a more relaxed atmosphere. The small town of Olympia is a new town, and without the archaeological site wouldn't be worth a detour, in my opinion.

#7 Johan kai Ann

Johan kai Ann

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hi,
I liked Olympia also very much.
The idea of running through the tunnel where more then 2000 years ago athlets passed through on their way to eternal glory... or shame.
It almost feels like sacrilege.
We will be in Crete again with Easter holidays. This time by plane.

Yasou,
Johan