10 replies to this topic

#1 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:57 AM

I've not been out to Crete since 2008, when the market which used to be (I think) on Fridays, was moved elsewhere and was held on different days.

Does anyone know where and when it is held now? I'm coming over for my honeymoon for 2 weeks in late September and I'm hoping to be able to visit it again to obtain big bags of Rigani!

Thanks.

Curiouser and curiouser.....

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

Hi, Tinks - the Friday market is now held on a Saturday and is down by the harbour, not sure exactly where but I'm told you can't miss it if you head for the harbour. However, if you're coming by car it would be best to get there early before 8am to get a parking space, not sure if you would want to do that on your honeymoon?

There is also a Wednesday market which is held the other side of the town towards Kissamos. We go there occasionally as it's reasonably easy to find a parking space, but haven't taken note of the street names around there. We'll probably go there over the next few weeks, so if you like will make a point of checking the street names.

Pam

#3 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Pam!

Honeymoon or not, I'll still be up at the crack of dawn photographing the sunrise. We've been wanting to come back to Chania for 3 years, so it'll even be a treat for us to visit the market!

If you have any advice for nice places to eat that aren't just tourist traps anywhere on the west side of the island, we'd really appreciate it. We speak enough Greek to get by in a restaurant that doesn't deal in English!

#4 Mike and Jane

Mike and Jane

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

Unless they've moved it again since last september it's in Odos Minos, walk eastwards from Agora market entrance on a Saturday morning and note where all the people carrying bags of produce are coming from. You can't really miss it. We'll be there 17th sept, and probably 24th sept if only to stock up with raki (tip: always by raki from the oldest guy you can find, 1 he's learnt how to do it by now, 2 it has'nt killed him yet!) Congrats on honeymooning in crete, we'ed love to do that if we hadn't been married 41 years and being accompanied by daughter and son-in-law.

#5 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

I love your Raki tip! I shall hae to bear the same thing in mind when we're looking for Rakomelo.

#6 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

Well, we found the market without problem, despite all the roadworks that seem to be happening in Chania town at the moment.

A couple of pictures:

Our wedding day in Hereford. (my shawl, the bridesmaid's shawl and Dave's socks (socks not visible in this pic!) were hand knitted and beaded by me)
Posted Image

Chania market, queuing at Dave's very favourite stall - the Souvlaki seller! "τέσσερις σουβλάκι παρακαλώ;"
Posted Image

#7 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:41 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D Looking forward to seeing other pics!!!Were in Hereford the other day but obviously not the right day!! ;)
Glad you enjoyed the honeymoon in beautiful Crete.
xxx
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#8 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

Thank you very much DaveW! We had a fantastic time and are very much looking forward to going back to Crete again at some point. We had an amazing mix of weathers, from cloudy and blustery when we arrived, to hot sunshine and finally to tremendous thunderstorms by the time we left, it was fantastic!

We really like to stargaze and had hoped to visit Sasteria, but it was just too far to drive from Tavronitis. So, maybe next time we'll stay around the Ag Nik area instead. We still managed to get some fabulous photographs of the Milky Way, Jupiter and the Andromeda Galaxy though from the roof of our holiday accommodation!

I didn't take as many photographs as I usually do in Crete, but some of my images can be found here

A few of Dave's astrophotography photographs can be found here

#9 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

tip: always by raki from the oldest guy you can find, 1 he's learnt how to do it by now, 2 it has'nt killed him yet!

Thanks for the tip - it may well have a serious point, but I do think it's very funny!

#10 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

(tip: always by raki from the oldest guy you can find, 1 he's learnt how to do it by now, 2 it has'nt killed him yet!)

M&J
loved the quote :lol:
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#11 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Well, we found the market without problem, despite all the roadworks that seem to be happening in Chania town at the moment.

A couple of pictures:

Our wedding day in Hereford. (my shawl, the bridesmaid's shawl and Dave's socks (socks not visible in this pic!) were hand knitted and beaded by me)
Posted Image

Chania market, queuing at Dave's very favourite stall - the Souvlaki seller! "τέσσερις σουβλάκι παρακαλώ;"
Posted Image

Great pictures Tinks, and belated Congrats..........

not been on here for quite a while.
xx
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.