• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Sad news my friends. Patrick Leigh Fermor died in the UK this morning. Several obituaries already published online, e.g. http://www.telegraph...igh-Fermor.html

#2 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:42 AM

Sand news indeed. A great man and a great writer. His contribution to writing about travel along many parts of the world will always remain in my mind the best that could ever be achieved. Mani and Roumeli are of course his greatest contributions to Greece but equally superb are his two volumes of travel across Europe as a young man in the 1930’s. I am eagerly awaiting the third volume now, to maintain in my mind for many years to come the magic of Fermor’s writings.

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

The Independent now has an obituary by his friend and biographer Artemis Cooper. See http://www.independe...me-2296162.html

#4 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for letting us know Tim but, more importantly, thanks for telling us "young" people about him and the fantastic contribution he made.

Your information sparked my own research and reading that has added tremendous value and enjoyment to my time in Crete.
I have just read that there is to be a remake of “The Dam Busters” so fingers crossed there might be a new version of “Ill Met by Moonlight”.
Kritsa Yvonne

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

Hi Yvonne
I heard about the remake of The Dambusters, apparently they will change the name of his dog so as not to offend! I somehow doubt that a remake of IMBM would seek to be nearer the truth, always fail to understand why the true story wasn't good enough on its own. I can't remember who has the rights to the book these days, I don't think they are still with Billy's daughters.
I'm delighted that knowledge of Paddy has added to your appreciation of Crete- it most certainly did for me.

#6 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:36 AM

A small article about Patrick Leigh Fermor’ appearance on the Greek TV show “This is Your Life” in 1972 together with some of the antartes that participated in the abduction of General Kreipe as well as the surprise appearance of the General himself. The article provides a link to view the program on YouTube but would require an understanding of Greek to enjoy it in full.

http://patrickleighf...ght-greek-life/

#7 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

It's good to see that the footage is now available to a wider audience, I'd been given a copy and, yes, whilst me Greek wasn't up to understanding it fully, it is wonderful to see the parties and how they react to seeing one another again. Paddy wasn't completely surprised in the typical 'This is Your Life'- Eamon Andrews way, he'd had a tip off and had rung Kreipe a little while beforehand to see if the rumour was true.
After the show they went off to a taverna and, according to Paddy, some elements of the press had a pop at Paddy. Kreipe stood up for him saying how he had acted like a prefect gentleman - and the press slunk off.

#8 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor was buried today, Thursday 16th June 2011 in the graveyard of St Peter's Church Dumbleton next to his wife Joan It was a very well attended service and thankfully the rains held off. I will post an Order of Service shortly for those who might wish to see it.

#9 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

A small article about Patrick Leigh Fermor’ appearance on the Greek TV show “This is Your Life” in 1972 together with some of the antartes that participated in the abduction of General Kreipe as well as the surprise appearance of the General himself. The article provides a link to view the program on YouTube but would require an understanding of Greek to enjoy it in full.

http://patrickleighf...ght-greek-life/

What a wonderful clip - only just seen it. It makes me feel humble, watching these very real and very genuine heroes, and the relationship they now have with a man who was a lethal and thoroughly hated enemy or theirs.

#10 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

I just wish my greek was up to understanding it all

fantastic to see them all
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org