2 replies to this topic

#1 Zarbs

Zarbs

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:59 PM

My name is Carol and I am a new member to this Forum. I have been trying to identify the correct surname of my husband's grandfather for several years now. We know his name to be John Zarbs and that he supposedly came from the Island of Crete, to the United States, somewhere between 1876 and 1882. I have been unsuccessful at determining the year he immigrated, the U.S. Port he arrived at, the surname he used when entering the country, when he was naturalized, etc. Based on information obtained from U. S. Census Reports and phone directories, I know that he resided in Baltimore, MD, at least from 1894 until 1933 when he died. I know of no relatives that he may have come to live with or who he may have travelled with.

John is supposed to have been born December 1860. His death certificate says that his father's name was Frank. In Baltimore, he worked as a Confectioner, a Fireman, an Oiler and then became a Lunch Room Proprietor. He married Mary Stein from Germany and they had eleven children. I am attaching his picture.

If anyone has any information about the family or any suggestions as to what the original surname could be, please write me back at: carol.zarbos@comcast.net.

Thank you.

Attached Files

#2 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

Carol,

I will be going to Crete in May. I will try & make some enquiries regarding the possible correct surname for you. As your granfather's name was John, he will of course be a Giannis/Yiannis etc, etc etc! there are numerous spellings for the Greek word John!
The greek b is in fact the letter v, so possibly the name was originally something like Zervos or Zervas & was "anglisized" as Zarbs. I notice that your email address is C Zarbos.

Ros.

#3 Zarbs

Zarbs

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Hi Ros,
I am just now seeing your reply in response to my request regarding my grandfather, John Zarbs.
My mother changed our last name to Zarbos when she divorced my father. Were you able to visit
Crete and find anything out about my surname?

Thank you,
Carol

email: carol.zarbos@comcast.net