6 replies to this topic

#1 Garyfromoz

Garyfromoz

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:35 AM

Hi, I am coming to Crete for three months this year 2011 July - October.I am on medication that needs regular blood tests and am finding it hard to get any info on how I go about it in Crete. Any info will be great. Although I have a British passport as well as my Australian, I have no EU medical card. Thanks in advance, Gary.

#2 feeleej

feeleej

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

There are plenty of private laboratories where you can just walk in and ask for blood tests. The prices seem reasonable for any tests we've had done. Results are usually pretty quick, as well.

If you say where you will be staying someone may be able to give you details for a laboratory in the area. You could then contact them about prices.

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:25 PM

I'm guessing that you may, like me, be on warfarin. I expected to have this problem and was advised that many private clinics could do the INR test job but, for other reasons, mainly general convenience, I bought a self test kit from Roche. I've now had two, the current a coagucheck xs cost me about £350 and my surgery pays for the test strips. It is much smaller and simpler to use than its predecessor. If you are on warfarin for a long time you might find such a machine a really useful investment despite its cost, its a life saver in many ways for me. Google coagucheck.

#4 Garyfromoz

Garyfromoz

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:56 AM

Thanks guys, and yes one of my tests is for warfarin. I have looked at these home machines but here in OZ its a bit expensive with the machine around $700 and the strips about $8 each which do not come free at our doctors. I wondered if you have to get a doctors referal in Crete first before the labs will do the test. I am sure my first hotel will be able to put me right. Thanks again,
Gary.

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

All I can offer, not from personal experience, is that I have heard such referrals are easier and cheaper than in UK. Sorry no idea of your Aus system. Don't forget that pharmacists are also more involved in practical care.
Sorry that the machine is too expensive a process for you at present, hope it improves as it is enourmously helpful.
Best wishes
Tim

#6 alexandros

alexandros

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

I have regular INR tests, which, before I had IKA cover cost 4.05 euros in the local hospital. Results in 2 hours and see the pathalogos immediately, or maybe with a short wait to discuss the action required.
I would suggest that when you arrive make a hospital appointment with pathology who will write a note to authorise the test. Speak to a Pharmacist, they are generally excellent here and can advise on the best doctors to see.
Hope this helps.
Alistair

#7 alexandros

alexandros

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:47 AM

Re the machine to check INR, this will very soon be redundant as there is a drug waiting for approval which will mean that INR checks will not be necessary. It is to be available here in 2 months the doctor estimates. Forget the name and no time this am to look it up, it is not a new drug it has been used for years in orthopaedic operations to avoid blood clots.

Alistair