• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

A few years ago there was a fun thread that many used to celebrate when they had made a booking so ...................

We are traveling from Heathrow to Heraklion via Athens on Agean this week - hooray! Mountains, almond blossom, orchids here we come - now where did I put my sun glasses?? :D

Who is next ???
Kritsa Yvonne

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:21 AM

Hi Yvonne
We shall not be following until May but are going the same way as yourselves, Aegean from Heathrow. Appreciate any insights that you may get into their operation and idiosyncrasies they have. Also, if you might remember to note the number of the rows by the exits as I always try to get these to squeeze 6'5" into. then I'd be most grateful ;-0
Wish you a thoroughly relaxing trip, full of all that a fresh Crete has to offer . Hope some of the greenery lasts until we get there.

#3 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

Well, I can't post the dates we're visiting as we're living here - we'll be celebrating our first year here in a couple of week's time. Yvonne, I would also make sure you bring your raincoats as well as sunglasses as the forecast is poor for the weekend. It's been a wet winter here in the north west of the island - the rivers are full and everywhere is very green, apart from the snow on the mountains. It looks like plenty to us, but the locals are saying there should be more snow lower down - though if it's as bad as forecast (down to 11 degrees!), that could change.

Tim, in the year before we moved here we used Aegean several times and found them very comfortable, plus good service on food and drinks. If I remember rightly there's only one row next to the emergency exits, so I'd get your seat booked early!

Pam

#4 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

I've already had 1 visit this year, end of Jan for a week. I'm next due 12th March for 8 nights.
I'm hoping my March visit will be my last return trip, as I'm waiting to hear whether I've got early retirement!!! If I have then will be making a one way trip end of May begining of June!
If I have to continue working then will be over Mid May & then July.

#5 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

I've already had 1 visit this year, end of Jan for a week. I'm next due 12th March for 8 nights.
I'm hoping my March visit will be my last return trip, as I'm waiting to hear whether I've got early retirement!!! If I have then will be making a one way trip end of May begining of June!
If I have to continue working then will be over Mid May & then July.

#6 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

Thanks Pam. I'll see what joy I can get from them re reservation of seat.

#7 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:32 AM

I am sat in Athens airport using free wifi at 3.30 a.m. because I don't want to forget that the seat row Tim needs is 9 - as long as it is the same aircraft of course!!!

Now have to wait until 8.00 a.m. for the hop over to Heraklion - worth it eh? :D
Kritsa Yvonne

#8 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

Welcome back to Crete, Yvonne - though you've arrived on a thoroughly miserable day weather-wise. It's been raining here all morning and looks set to continue for the day. Hopefully it'll perk up over the weekend and you can get out to enjoy the green countryside and snow-covered mountains.

Pam

#9 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:37 AM

Oh dear Yvonne, I feel rather guilty for perhaps keeping you awake. But very many thanks,
By now though I expect you have forgotten the flights and are enjoying that wonderful herb scented air (outside of Heraklion) ;-)
Again, many thanks and now enjoy your break without further ado.

#10 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

Today we booked our honeymoon to Crete. We head out to Tavronitis on 27th September for a fortnight, having got married in Hereford on the 24th September.

Originally, we had planned to get married in Crete, but too many friend and family would not have been able to come, so this is the next best thing.

I can't wait to return to Crete, I've not been since 2008 - I'm running out of Rigani!
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#11 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

Tinks!!
What great news!!!!
Congratulations..........on going to Crete, not about getting married!!
Oh alright...congratulations on geting married as well. A bit drastic though, just to go to Crete again!!
xxx
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#12 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

Thanks DaveW! I can't wait to get back there again, it's been far too long.

I need to refresh my Greek language skills, so will be listening to a lot of online Greek Radio in the coming months (usually Radio Kriti or Magic FM)

I just hope the weather will be ok, coming over so late in the season.

#13 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

Tinks, congrats :D
Dont worry about weather in Sept, it can be hot and the sea will be warm enough for moonlight swims :D
This year we're hoping to go in October, probaly be a few cloudy days but we're happy to take that chance as the cost overal will be much cheaper than when we go in early sept :D

#14 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:48 PM

The latest I've been in Crete before has been the 3rd October, and it was very cloudy and windy then. I'm hoping for some warm, clear nights as my partner loves to see and photograph the stars.

I like to get up very early in the morning and photograph the sunrise (we both love our DSLR cameras!). I can only hope to get another shot like I got with this one in 2007..

Posted Image

#15 Garyfromoz

Garyfromoz

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:55 AM

Hi, I am visiting Crete for three months July - October. I envy your little hops from the UK, its taking me three days with an overnight in Soul Korea and the ferry from Athens gives me another nights sleep before I arrive. I have been planning this trip for two years, not long to wait now.
Gary.

#16 kaysexton

kaysexton

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

I'm arriving on 15 April in Heraklion, taking the bus to Sitia and then travelling inland to Maronia where my friend has bought a house. Staying a week to finish revisions on my novel, without too many distractions I hope, although I fear the scenery will tempt me away from my netbook quite a lot!

#17 Mike and Jane

Mike and Jane

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:00 AM

Hi all, we are coming to Crete via easyjet on 13th Sept. Staying in Ag Apostoli as we did last year. Looking forward to meeting Pam & Bob again and seeing their now completed house. Also looking forward to lots of Cretan sunshine, visits to Chania on the bus. We may even go to Heraklion this year, is the museum open again? Sept seems a long time off, but I guess it will soon be upon us.
Happy Holidays to everyone who gets there before us.

Mike and Jane

#18 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

The Archaeological Museum is still closed for renovation: there's no information on when it will re-open, as far as I know. But the exhibition of selected treasures is wonderful, and if you do go to Iraklion you shouldn't miss it. (In fact, it's worth the journey if you have no other reason for going.) All the really major, famous artefacts are there: about 200 of them, which is enough to keep you enthralled for a good couple of hours.

Go early to avoid the crowds. The "crowds" are necessarily small, as the exhibition space is small, but even a small crowd is distracting, and if you get there at opening time (8 am) you'll be able to enjoy it in peace and quiet for a good hour.

#19 ejo

ejo

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hi,

Visiting Crete in July, strange to say visiting as it is kind of our second home land, as my husband is greek and our two children have two nationalities, and we lived in Gouves for for 2 1/2 years. As our family lives in heraklion and it can be pretty hot in the city we are hoping to find a furnished flat in gouves for the summer. Happy to be there, see friends and family. And happy to go back home to Norway after the holidays.

#20 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

Oh well, back in the UK after a very wet, cold and windy week on the island! :(
Did the weather spoil our holiday? :huh:
No! :) We managed to get out everyday, met some lovely people and visited some interesting villages. :)
Perhaps the greatest joy was seeing the number of flowers that were in bloom wherever you travelled. A complete contrast to the summer and to autumn.
Thank you Crete for letting us discover a little more of you, and we look forward to meeting you again in the summer. ;)
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!