#1 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:54 PM

HI all

I wonder if anyon coud tell me what te situation with regars to working in Crete is. A friend is wondering about fruit picking or any kind of work that might be going for the summer for her son.
Thank you
Kieran

#2 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hi Again
sorry for the spelling. I should have reread my post before posting.
again apologies

Kieran

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hi Kieran,
finding a job in Crete is not easy at the moment. Many financial emigrants have moved to Greece in the last decades but with the recent financial crisis they compete over a limited number of jobs.
For someone who doesn't speak the language, like your friend's son, it will be difficult to get a job.
Perhaps he can try finding a job as a waiter or barman in tourist areas, but he will need to stay in Crete for 3-4 months.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

I see the same situation down here, in South Crete. Foreigners that live here all year round and have worked for years in the olives during winter months are now left home because there are loads of newcoming Bulgarians and other foreign citizens working for less. And since the Greeks have a financial problem, generally speaking, they would take anyone working for less with no regard to old working relationships.

#5 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

...and it doesn't help that the price the growers get for their oil is so low!!!! I understand that some producers have left their oil at the mill, hoping that prices will increase. And if you walk some on the older areas you will see oranges left to rot on the ground as it is too expensive to harvest them, as those prices are also low.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#6 feeleej

feeleej

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

" And if you walk some on the older areas you will see oranges left to rot on the ground as it is too expensive to harvest them, as those prices are also low."

Interestingly, it was reported recently in the UK press that orange juice will become a luxury item there because of the failure of the orange harvest in Florida and somewhere else which I can't remember. It's a pity the juice producers don't look further afield for their raw material.

With regard to foreign workers: we were told that here, in Apokoronas, that the it's the Moroccans who have undercut everyone with the price they are prepared to work for and that a lot of the Eastern Europeans have left.

#7 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:52 PM

Well Thank you those comments. It is a bit depressing to hear of this situation but then it seems to be all over. Certainly here in Ireland.
I will let my friend know of what you all have said.
Again Thank you

Kieran
If anybody has any ideas please let me know