#1 Jonsey

Jonsey

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:33 AM

Hi
33 years ago my hubby and I in a camper van, thought we discovered heaven as we looked down on teeny Agia Galini, tumbling like seagulls down a cliff. We drove down to the wharf, parked, sniffed the glorious air and stayed more or less for the next 4 months. We took lots of side trips, hiked the hills, picked the wild thyme went to Heraklion once a week to check mail and to fill up our wine jugs..but we were always so glad to be back home in AG. We learned to play backgammon there, ate Mousakka and grilled squid (Kalameri ?)for the first time. Learned about the wartime tragedies and heros, trampled through nearby Minoan ruins and so much more. We did move off the wharf to a camping field (no such thing as as camping ground) and from there we walked every night into town, under the amazing starlit night and the regular HE HAW of a donkey that we no doubt scared as we went back & forth. In the mornings, we picked up freshly baked hot bread at a local place with a community oven and often we were given oranges by a new found friend. I remember going into a "butcher" shop with absolutely nothing visable and the gentleman asked if we liked...chicken, lamb, rabbit...whatever he could catch was what we ordered. I remember going into a taverna close to the waterfront where we used to go into the kitchen, lift the lids to see what was cooking...wonderful wonderful memories which we recalled for the next 30 years ! Sadly my husband passed away 7 yeras ago and do you know that his last wishes were that I go back to Crete and Agia Galini ... So that is what I'm doing but I got a shock when I saw the pics on the Agia Galini.com website. That wharf is huge, no breakwater 30 years ago, just fishing boats tied up and we joined the village to see the catch as it was brought ashore. So I am looking forward to visiting again, and hope there will be something familiar from the good ol days!

Needless to say I can't find a place to stay, nothing is familiar to me but I hope when I arrive deja vu will happen and I'll find something simple, with atmosphere, no swimming pool, AC or parking lot. I'll be arriving by bus around mid April. I also want to move on from AG and create new memories, so I want to see some wild flowers, and see some sights further west . Look forward to hearing from all the Cretan experts on this site.

Joan

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

Well that made me smile with a lump in my throat!

I hope the trip is wonderful and that the changes are not too shocking! Please share with us via Explore Crete.

Best wishes, :)
Kritsa Yvonne

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

That brought back a few memories, not of 33 years ago, more like 20. Sadly we cannot put the clock back, and not all change is for the good, but I do think we can still enjoy many aspects of Crete - and be thankful for the chance to have experienced Crete in some of the good old days.

#4 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

I too stayed in Agia Galini about 32 years ago and it was very pleasant then. We've not stayed there since - mostly stayed in Matala or Pitsidia on our trips down south and on our one day trip there it rained, so haven't explored it much. Yes, it is bigger now than you remember, but it's still very pretty and I'm sure you'll be able to find the accommodtion you like - we've stayed in many such places on our trips round the island. One trip you should do while you're there is to visit the Amari valley, which is still beautiful and unspoiled. In the spring there will be plenty of wild flowers up there.

If you plan on visiting Chania, do let us know - we now live not far from there and could meet up.

Pam

#5 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

aardigman one of our existing members stayed in AG last summer and the year before so could maybe help with bringing you up todate and what changes to expect, I do hope you enjoy your visit despite the changes that may have taken place.
A PM to aardigman asking for upto date info might help to prepare :)

Good Luck B)