#1 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:03 AM

HI All

Well, Its that time again and I am planning my holiday back in Crete next year in July. My thanks to Laid Back Lil for pointing out the Easyjet flights, although I will be travelling from Ireland, but its a hop skip and a jump from Cork to Gatwick lolol.
I intend to go back to Agia Galini again, we had the most wonderful holiday last July and we want to go back there. however, the problem is we are arriving in Heraklion at 22.35 and I dont really want to drive to Agia Galini at that time of night. So, the question is, does anybody have a good cheap hotel to stay in Heraklion for the night. All I want is a bed to sleep in, clean, easy to find and not to expensive.
Again lil ...thank you for the Easyjet tip off ...

Kieran

#2 koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:59 AM

I always stay at the Mirabello - reasonable rates, friendly staff and convenient location.
http://www.mirabello-hotel.gr

Jim

#3 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

We used to stay at the Kronos hotel down by the harbour. There's not a lot of parking there, so we used to get a taxi to the hotel and get the car delivered to the hotel the following morning. Rates were 60 euros per night, but we haven't needed to stay there for a couple of years, so not sure what they are now. The main reason we stayed there was that it was right on the harbour road, which takes you straight out onto the Mires road, so no need to navigate our way through Iraklion (except for the one occasion when the road was closed).

Pam

#4 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

Aardigman - you're very welcome. we saved just under £600 by booking our flights the day they were released. Pam - how are you enjoying your new life in Kalives? Hows the cats? Friend and I are hoping to have a quick hopover in march for a few days all being well.

#5 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:58 AM

We're fine and thoroughly enjoying our new life - we're not actually in Kalyves, but in Neo Xorio a few kilometres inland. We finally moved into our new house a couple of weeks ago, but are now experiencing the frustration of getting the last few niggles sorted - the electrician was supposed to come this morning between 9 and 10 but has still not arrived!

Two kittens moved in with us at the end of September - we'd been feeding a litter of four, but found one dead under the car and another disappeared at the same time. The remaining 2 turned up at the door the following day and squeaked to be let in, which of course we did. They're both female and very sweet, but will need to get them spayed before too long.

Hope to see you when you're over in March.

Pam

#6 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

Kieran, you might like to investigate the Irini Hotel. http://www.irini-hotel.gr/

It's basic, clean, no frills but well-run, 40 euros a night last May (might be more in July) and a stone's throw from the bus station. It's also near the Archaeological Museum, if you have time in the morning before you leave - it opens at 8. The small selection of treasures on view while the main museum is being renovated is stunning and well worth seeing if you haven't been yet.