4 replies to this topic

#1 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hi Guys - Have been out to Almyrida a couple of times this year and have noticed that we're being bitten (quite a nasty nip!) by fish in the sea. We can't work out what fish are biting as there's lots of different ones. This happens in shallow water - about a metre to 1.5 metres. My neighbour was in Kalives and a fish bit him in the sea and left two barbs in his leg. Seemed at first to be around mozzie bites but then just anywhere on the legs. Can someone tell me what these fish are please and why this year they seem to be biting? Doesn't make for very pleasant swimming especially for the youngsters. :)

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:39 AM

I've been swimming in the sea in Kalyves almost every day for the last 3 months and I've only experienced this once. However, a friend who doesn't swim, just walks into the sea to cool off has complained about biting fish - the trick seems to be to keep moving. No idea what these are, I'm afraid - has this only started happening this year?

Are you out here at the moment? If so, we must meet up - I'll PM you our contact details.

Pam & Bob

#3 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

Hi Pam
No currently at home, back out shortly with mum and dad (who haven't been before) and in their 80s! I snorkel at the cove and haven't been bitten but in Almyrida bay I was nipped (enough to make you go Aghh) a couple of times and so were children and others being nipped too. Have never ever experienced this before. Will make a note of you number and will get in touch as soon as we're in the area

#4 Anthony

Anthony

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

Hi all, recently returned from Elounda where we had the same problem, the culprits were about 3 - 4" long grey with vertical dark stripes, one actually drew blood but most were just nips. As a previous poster has said keep on the move.
All the best Tony

#5 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:21 PM

The only beach we ever had the same problem was at Itanos where they were clearly nipping at a scab from a previous wound on my leg ^_^

Possibly their way of wound cleaning ?