3 replies to this topic

#1 frances

frances

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

Next year is the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Crete. Are there any special events to mark the event? If so, does anyone have any details about when and where they are taking place?

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

There will be some commemoration events but quite what form they will take and where is as yet unknown. There will be a few veterans attending from the UK and I know that there are parties coming from New Zealand and Australia.
The programme of events is not usually known until quite late, perhaps I should say very late! I have, somewhere, the date of the service that will take place at the Souda Bay cemetery, a service organised by the British Embassy - I'll dig it out and post it.
Quite what effect the financial problems in Greece will have on the events is unknown - though cut backs are not unexpected.
Everyone thought the 60th, then the 65th would be the last big one buy we are glad to see that our veterans are proving them wrong.
I can only suggest that you keep an eye on the forums for further information nearer the time.
Tim

#3 Gelis

Gelis

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

Tim, can you please remind me what time the Souda Bay Remembrance Sunday Service is? Sorry to hijack this post, but it just reminded me that I needed to check this!

#4 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

I need to find where I made the note, and will post for all to see. Cannot remember if I had the date and time, or just date. Will post what I have asap.