7 replies to this topic

#1 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

Discovered this article in the Crete Gazette, bit worrying actually as we've been offered cheap car hire ie 215 Euro for 14 days hire whereas other companis are around the 320 Euro mark or more for same car.
Does anyone know which company was involved with the illegal changing of no plates or are we not allowed to mention by name ?

Article Here

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:03 PM

We always use Kera Tours, (if we have not driven over) they are based in Agios Nikolaos - they may not be the cheapest but they have our confidence.

We fly out on Friday for 19 days and expect a FIAT PANDA A/C to be waiting for us for the price of 420 euro.
Kritsa Yvonne

#3 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

Just checked their website, did you know they dont cover for damage underneath? :rolleyes:

#4 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

We guess that is to help focus the mind on the fact that this type of car should only be on tarmac roads.

So many roads have been tarmaced in the past few years this is not a problem - but just wait until we get over there in the autumn with our own 4 x 4 its up and over the mountains for us then! :rolleyes:
Kritsa Yvonne

#5 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

A few years back we hired a Renault Clio from Hertz in Maderia. Whilst driving on a tarmac road in a mountain area there was a significant rock fall right in front of us. The largest lumps of rock were about the size of a football so to avoid serious damage i swerved to miss the larger pieces but in doing so i hit a much smaller piece. This was then flipped onto the chassis by the wheel and set the passenger airbag off . We had fully comp insurance, except for .......underneath . Hertz tried for six months to get us to pay for replacing the airbag trying to blame my bad driving and the suggestion we had obviously gone "off road" . Fortunately I had collected names and adddress of the drivers behind that witnessed the rock fall at the time, but it took 6 months of constant arguing with Hertz before they finaly accepted my version of events. Had we paid for the rental by credit card then i'm told they would've automaticaly debited our account with the repair bill, but luckily we had paid by airmiles so Hertz didnt have our credit card details :rolleyes:
The lesson we learnt was to always make sure underneath and wheel damage is covered even if we are only intending to drive on tarmac, and even if we are hiring a 4x4. Here where I live in the UK we still have hundreds of potholes from last winter, Crete's tarmac roads are not excluded either, and the repair process is even slower than here in uk, and thats very slow !!
Take care :D

#6 Gelis

Gelis

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

You'd probably have difficulty finding a car hire with cover for damage to the underneath of the car. It is perfectly normal here for this to be excluded, mainly because of the "off road" issue. It is just too tempting, given the wonderful landscape, to drive off road, but this should definitely be left to those with their own 4x4s!

#7 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

but this should definitely be left to those with their own 4x4s!

........and for those visitors who have the knowledge and experience to do so safely. :mellow:

I'm sure most would agree that even on tarmac roads in Crete one can come across very large holes in the road either at the side or otherwise, for a small car the damage if not spotted in time can be very significant, mainly for the tyres and tyre rims, but also for the suspension and chassis, at least with a 4x4 the risk of damage is considerably reduced B)
Alianthos offer underneath insurance for their hire fleet.

#8 Nick D

Nick D

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:58 PM

I tend to use what I believe to be local firms. Alianthos have been OK in the past. At the end of season the cars have been a little tired. Mike's Tours have also been fine, although picking up a Panda late night at Heraklion with only half a tank of petrol was a pain when trying to get to Anopoli (but that's Heraklion for you, not just Mike's - they all seem to do it) - I did get superb dawn pics of the Askifou plain, 'though!. I used to use Zakros, but found I rented the same car twice - 3 years apart and the second time it was in dire condition and I had serious brake grab problems on the Imbros-Hora Sfakion road. For the last two years I have been using Rental Centre Crete and found them great - good condition cars, cheap prices and underbody insurance.

With petrol prices the way they are now 'though, do check the tank before the renter slips away. I'm sure it was a mistake, but last time 1/2 tank full actually meant filling up soon after leaving Heraklion, so costing an immediate extra £20!