#1 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hi all,

After the success of the Explolre Crete dinner in May this year, it was suggested that we do it all again in July!!!

I will be around 2nd-24th. I think Ton said he will be around the 1st week of July, obviously Dinny, Pam & Bob are already on the island & maybe Yannis can join us this time. Wim, what about you?

Ton has suggested that we eat in a village called Yeni Gave, apparently it's famous for spit-roasted meats, suckling pig in particular. Now I had serious problems locating this place on a map! all my Cretan neighbours knew it & were describing where it was, could I find it, no. Eventually I found it on the maps in The Battle for Crete & The Cretan Runner, so....... current maps, again NO. Eventually after many days of research I discovered the village is now called Dros(s)ia & hey I've now found it on several maps!!! It's on the old road from Heraklion to Perama/Rethymon, north west of Anoigia.

Any other takers for July?

Ros.

#2 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:44 AM

Sounds goood, unfortunately we dont arrive until 31st Aug, dust permnitting of course :blush:

#3 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

A silly suggestion - as the last one was in the south west of Crete, why not have this one in the north east?

I was thinking of attending until I got to the "suckling pig" part. I am allergic to pork. Not a lot of point in driving a long distance only to be ill when I get there! (Even though I am sure that you are all wonderful people)

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#4 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

John,

This one is at least in the north, between Heraklion & Rethymon. They do many other meats other than suckling pig. Apparently the village has a street of tavenas all doing the spit roasted meats.
I'm sure we'd love to meet you & you'd be more than welcome.
One of the reasons it's not been held in the north east is that the main organisers, Dinny & Ton, both live in Pitsidia. Now if you're offering to organise one in the north east, I'll be available end of September to the middle of October.

Cheers
Ros.

#5 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

Hi Ros21

Well, It sounds like a geat idea. I will be in the agia Galini area from June 25 until July 8th. I go home on the 9th.
So, we are up for it should it happen

Kieran