1 reply to this topic

#1 mejaybee

mejaybee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

I'm in Crete at the moment and driving here and there albeit cautiously. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the location of the war memorial in Rethymnon city? I did see it on a map at some point in the past but now I can't find it anywhere. Would love to find it and to know how to find out if there will be any ceremony held there on ANZAC Day this year. If you can help with either bit of information I'd be really grateful. My Dad was part of the Australian Army defending Retimo during WWII so this is a bit of a pilgrimage for me. Any info gratefully received.

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:00 PM

Coming from Chania if you take the first junction for Rethymno (the Lidl turning) carry on along the old road down the hill towards rethymno passing a turning for the Uni on your right. As the road passes a Church on your left you will see the bus station on your left by the sea. The ANZAC monument is just after this on your left on the main road. There is a turning on the right just before it signposted for 'Hospital' if you turn up here take the first left (Timoleona Vassou) and there was a piece of ground almost on the corner where you could park. I used to give the lady in the kiosk a couple of Euro for looking after the car! But be careful I think this car park does close in the evening. Walk back to the main road and the Memorial is almot opposite.
Behind the white wall on the corner of this car park is a small overgrown graveyard in which a number of Polish soldiers from the 1800's are buried, but this is usually locked.
You should if possible try to visit Suda Bay Commonwealth War Cemetery. It is a very special place where many young men lie, many miles from their ANZAC homes. I never cease to be moved each time I visit.
Sorry can't help you as it if there will be any ceremony there this year.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday. I am not at all jealous that you are enjoying Cretan hospitality.
Dave
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!