#1 summer-fun

summer-fun

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:07 AM

Hi everyone

I'm stuck in the 'introduce yourself' section even though I am trying to get into the general section to ask for some info on Crete. So here goes and hopefully someone will reply.

We are 2 Greek/Australian girls in our late 30's heading to Crete for 12 Days in mid July this year. We want to experience the culture/hisotry, the beaches and the night life. So far I am leaning toward a few nights in Agios Nikolas and then a couple of nights somewhere on the west side of the island but not sure where, that will meet the above requirements. There are 3 beaches I really want to see, they are Elafonissi, Glyka Nera and Falassarna (long beach).

I know the distances are long and I am nervous about hiring a car as you guys drive on the opposite side of the road to us Aussies so it's a little scary. What's the best way to get from one side to the other and is there anywhere to stay close to these beaches that still has options for things to see and do, day/night apart from just go to the beach?

Any advise or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Any other must see's and do's, am happy to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Roula

Attached Files

#2 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

Hi Roula, If you can not drive and also can not rent scooters or motorcycles then the otherway to travel around is by local bus.

http://www.cretetrav.../Bus_schedules/

http://www.bus-service-crete-ktel.com/

For nightlife you better stick with the north part of the island.

Cheers

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

Hi Roula,
I think you need not worry too much about the driving, all Brits driving in Crete have to learn to drive on the 'wrong' side when in Crete! You just need to take it steady until you become familiar with conditions. I am happy to be corrected, but I dont think that the extreme west is well served by regular convenient busses. I would advise against motorcycles/scooters in the strongest terms, they have a high accident rate for tourists (and far too many are serious/fatal consequences even for experienced users)
Agios Nikolaos is pretty much the opposite end of the island (in the East) to the other places you mention. Elafonissi and Falassarna being on the very west coast. The only Gyka Nero I know is near Loutro, and often called by the English name Sweetwater Beach. It cannot be accessed by road, you either walk from Loutro or Hora Sfakion. I think there is a small boat taxi service from Loutro as well. You can only practically get to Loutro via the ferry. The walk from Hora Sfakion can be a bit demanding I gather and not for anyone suffering from vertigo. One way you might think about doing it is to come down the west coast having been to the other two beaches, to either Paleohora or Sougia by road. Then get the ferry to Loutro. Google ferries Loutro to get an idea of the routes and times between Paleohora and Hora Sfakion.
There is plenty of accomodation at Agios Nikolaos, Paleohora, and Sougia I believe. More difficult to find near Elafonissi and Falassarna but both driveable from say Kissamos , for Elafonissi and Paleohora for Falassarna, where accom is easier to find.
For info on some of the cultural aspects I would suggest that you use this site to have a very good look at what is on offer and decide what suits your purpose. For some interesting suggestestions look at this page here http://www.explorecr...eeing-tours.htm
Many see a trip to Knossos, just outside of Heraklion as a must- but you will find yourself amongst the hordes!