10 replies to this topic

#1 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

As mentioned in another couple of posts, we've booked flights for ourselves and our cats on 11th March. It's been somewhat complex as the pet transport companies can only take responsibility for booking the cats into the hold for the main flight - any ongoing transfers have to be organised by ourselves. Direct flights to Crete don't start until April, and for a number of reasons (hate where we're living now, want to see the start of the building etc...) we didn't want to wait that long, so we will need to get the cats flown into Athens and transport them ourselves on the short hop to Chania. Tickets are all booked but we found out that we will need to transfer the cats from the big crates into small carriers to go into the aircraft cabin - not something we fancied doing in the middle of the airport lounge. Thankfully, we've found a local cattery who will collect them, keep them in pens for a couple of hours and then deliver them back to the airport.

We've rented a house in the village which will be fine for several months - big plus is that it has a big garden and is in a very quiet area, a long way from the main road, so the cats will be safe. It also has 2 bedrooms, so we'll be able to put up friends who want to visit.

We're now down to the last bits of organisation - another round of down-sizing and getting rid of things we don't want to bring over, plus clearing out paperwork and organising money transfers. All very boring stuff, so I won't go into detail. We really can't wait to get over and start our new life - just a bit nervous about the journey and how our cats will survive it.

Pam & Bob

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:36 AM

All the best for a long and happy future. Keep us informed.
Dave
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 mikegee

mikegee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

Hi Pam and Bob
Glad you are at last coming over. As neighbours it would be good to meet up this time. Our first visit will be for 2 weeks in early May.
Mike and Colleen

#4 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

Hi Pam and Bob,

We were going to ask for a red carpet to be rolled out for your arrival but everywhere has a lush green carpet (with snowy mountain peaks) and we guess you will like that better. <_<

See you soon
Kritsa Yvonne

#5 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hi, Yvonne - you're absolutely right, we far prefer the green carpet. I'm using a photo Bob took of the view from our bedroom window as my desktop background, which is a view over the village and olive groves to the Levka Ori - far preferable to the back of a storage facility on an industrial site, which is what we have now. Every time we look at that we know we've made the right decision.

See you soon

Pam & Bob

#6 SallynChas

SallynChas

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

Not wishing to be the bearer of bad news but came across this whilst browsing today - http://www.reuters.c...H00526920100305
Being in the wilds of ECrete not sure what will be affected, but flights in and out of Athens certainly were during the February round of strikes.

#7 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

Yes, we do know about the strike, but haven't been advised of any fight cancellations etc as yet, so we've just got fingers and everything else firmly crossed., hoping that we won't be affected.

Pam

#8 SallynChas

SallynChas

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

Oh good, fingers, eyes, toes etc crossed for you!

#9 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

Well, Sally all the crossed fingers didn't work. Just this morning we were told that the flight had been cancelled, though the cargo handling were more on the ball than the passenger department. Cats were re-scheduled onto the Friday flight, but there was no availability for us so we're now booked on the Aegean flight tonight, which gets in at 11.30. Haven't booked a hotel, so will probably end up at the one in the airport - be expensive, but we'll be exhausted.

So, we'll be in Crete late on Friday.

It'll be a while before we're back on line, so signing off for now.

Pam

#10 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

I was at Athens airport on Friday evening (12th March) waiting for my onward flight to Heraklion. They then decided to change my departure gate. As I was now rushing to get to the new gate, Pam & Bob, complete with pet carriers in hand, went rushing by me in the opposite direction!!! Unfortunately I never got a chance to say hello.
Aegean in their wisdom swapped the Chania & Heraklion flight gates.

#11 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

Hi, Ros - what a coincidence! I'm afraid we were focussed on looking after our cats, especially as we had a 2 hour delay and changed departure gates 3 times. Fortunately the cats coped surprisingly well and are settling in fine. Will post more later when we get properly back on-line - telephone and ADSL should be connected by the end of the week.

Pam