55 replies to this topic

#21 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

I have a friend arriving on 3rd May, so it would have to be the 4th for me. I could drive down to Agia Galini before that to meet up with Wim if you decide on the 3rd. Wim I'll pm you my Greek mobile number.

Ros.

#22 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

Heyyyy, I turn my back for a moment, and when I come back I find all this movement! Good news from Wim, all the best and congrats with your new look (isn't amazing the effect we women have on men? lol). I'll be very happy to join you all for a get-together in May. Ton, I finally took note of your phone number! That might have been the reason why I never call you, when I am supposed to, didn't actually have your number! :-D

I'm not much of an organizer, much better at creating confusion, so I'll just await hearing what you guys come up with.

Looking forward to it!
:-)

#23 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

OK all,

Meeting Date will be the 4th of May
Place : Vafis Restaurant in Sivas Square
Time: 19:00pm
Coordination Persons for this event: Dinny & Yannis

Please confirm your participation to this topic board and by E-Mail,phone, or by pigeon message to the above mentioned ccordination persons. ;)

#24 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

i will be back in Crete on the 25th May so will be a little too late for this one. ( no prizes for guessing where i'll be)

have a great time everyone and get Wim a raki from me!

chris
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#25 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

Bob & I will be there. It'll be great to meet all again, this time as Crete residents.

Pam & Bob

#26 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

Ok, 4th May it is. I'll be there with my friend Jan. Dinny & Yannis have already met her. Will have to find somewhere to stay for the night!!! Don't know if there's anywhere in Sivas, otherwise will have to be Pitsidia.

#27 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

I hate party poopers so I certainly don't want to become one.
But since I return to Holland on the 5th at 10.30 it would mean that I have to take a cab to Heraklion Airport in the dawn of the morning with probably a strong raki perfume in my wake ;)

It's a pity Ros that the 3rd is a no go?

I planned to stay the 4th again in Heraklion, to digest/reflect the past days, lounge at the Morosini fountain and buy some special spices at the market. Love that market it's abfab!

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#28 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

Jan has just popped round, she says OK for the 3rd. She'll be tired but it's the 1st night of her holiday so she has time to recover!!!

#29 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

OK all,

Meeting Date will now be the 3rd of May (Wim can relax now!! ;) )
Place : Vafis Restaurant in Sivas Square
Time: 19:00pm
Coordination Persons for this event: Dinny & Yannis

Please confirm your participation to this topic board and by E-Mail,phone, or by pigeon message to the above mentioned co-ordination persons.

I am also arriving on the 3rd so it will be a good evening to start holidays. Sorry to see that DaveW and Chris can not make it.

#30 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

B)

Love you Ros! And I'll give Jan a big hug when we meet...(hmm funny Jan is a Dutch male name)
And of course the rest of the bunch! Would love to see you all and get your picture on my nightstand. I think I relocate from AG to Siva around the end of April lovely village to add to my lounging reflections ;)

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#31 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:15 PM

Wim, as I'll be heading back Heraklion way on the 4th you'd be welcome to a lift. I'm only 20 mins from Heraklion. If there's time you could see my village & house.

#32 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

Just great Ros, thanks in advance.

I'll be in Sivas the 1th of May and stay there in, has anyone of you an advice for a nice place to stay? I'm also planning to buy a prepaid card for my mobile, any advises for this one too? Prices, where etc?

Looking forward...

;)

#33 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

Hi Wim, I've booked into the Shivas Village Hotel for the night, it's €50 for a double room. I did ask Dinny if she knew of anywhere & this was a place she knew of. She thinks there are other places to stay but didn't know them. Her daughter lives in Sivas, so if you were to pm her she could maybe find out for you if you didn't want to stay at the hotel. As regards mobile sim cards, is your phone unlocked, or which network are you with? You can buy a Greek sim card almost anywhere, the main ones being Cosmote, Vodafone, Wind & Frog. I'm sure the kiosk at the top of the taverna street in Galini will sell them. If your mobile is "locked" to a network in Holland you may not be able to use a Greek sim card in it. You can buy a cheap nokia in Crete for around €35-40, which includes €3-5 worth of calls. This is what I've done! Using your Dutch mobile WILL be expensive, calling people in Crete.

Are you on facebook? If so pm me with your details. Dinny, Birgit & myself all are.

See you in May!

Cheers
Ros.

#34 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

Thanks Ros,

I'll buy a card for my old handheld when in Heraklion. I checked out the hotels in Sivas there are hardly any to find except for the Village Hotel. Yannis you wrote about the Lofos hotel in your article "Travel Around Crete do you know if they have a site where you can look for information and eventually make a reservation? Or is a phone call the only way.
I like the looks of it.
Posted Image

B)

#35 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:08 PM

All flights, up till now, have been canceled. The Dutch authorities closed the Dutch airspace until further notice, and consequently my coming to Crete.

Canceled my hotel in Heraklion and Galini and am very, very happy...

B)
B)

#36 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

If the airlines start flying next week is there a chance that you will still make it to Crete this month? B)

#37 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

Wim, so sorry to hear this, but had a suspicion you would be affected - we've been following the news here. Friends of ours in the village have flights booked back to the UK later this week and are worried they won't be able to get there to see family. Fingers crossed the flight ban will be revoked and you can get out here, albeit rather late.

Pam

#38 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

Dutch air space has been partly opened but with two restrictions; no night-flights and a good weather forecast. The company I fly with is now rescheduling its flights. This may take some time too so I have no clue about my new date of departure. I was able to rebook my flights but I'm not sure if they'll be able to honor the dates. Which are now 28th of April till 19th of May.

So in the meantime I sit and wonder why God created volcano's..

Thanks Pam and Ton for your interest. As soon as I have a confirmation of my flights I'll report it here.

Take care.

B)

#39 Ray

Ray

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:08 PM

British and Dutch and now most of Europe has it's airspace open now. End of story.

Ray

#40 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

Yeah if life could be that simple...

21 april 09:50hrs: Latest flight schedule April 21

21-04-2010 / 09:50
In the document underneath you will find the latest information on the flights of April 21. The flight schedule of Wednesday will be updated during the night and in the morning.

Open PDF file

transavia.com aims to operate several flights out of the Netherlands on Tuesday morning, pending the operational situation and weather circumstances. The flights of the afternoon are pending. We expect to have more information around 10.00 am Tuesday morning. We have already cancelled several flight which we can not operate due to the limitations of the operation and the opening of the airspace.

Only some flights out of Denmark will be operated in the morning, with a possible delay, due to operational circumstances. We are working hard to clarify the flight schedule for the rest of the day and expect to have an update ready by 10.00 am.

B)