11 replies to this topic

#1 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:35 PM

As of this afternoon after a couple of nail-biting weeks while our buyers got their finances sorted out we've finally exchanged contracts this afternoon and will be moving 15th December. We've got a flat to move to for a few months - only one bedroom, so we'll be falling over each other and the cats after being used to a 4 bedrrom house, but it's only temporary. We've also been sent details of a house to rent in the village, whci looks as though it will suit us nicely, so will be coming over in January to look at it and the plan is to move over permanently in early March. So, anybody planning a trip to Kalyves or nearby through next summer - beers and wine will be ready and waiting for you.

Pam & Bob

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Great news..Santa definitely called early to see you both!!!!
Best of luck for the coming months and look forward to seeing you in your new home next summer!!!! <_<
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

Fab news <_<

This is the start of a great adventure for you both and it will certainly make 2010 a year to remember!

Very best wishes Kalyves Pam.
Kritsa Yvonne

#4 mikegee

mikegee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

Congratulations to you both.

We look forward to meeting up with you some next summer.

Have a great Christmas and New Year and a toast to your new life in Crete.

Mike and Colleen

#5 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:08 PM

Great news Pam & Bob. We're out 6 times next year so bound to get together this time round for that cold beer! Happy Christmas!

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

Yes just great. Wish you all the luck you can manage <_<

:)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#7 chaim

chaim

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

Hi Pam and Bob,

congratulation for your decision! I must first apologize if my knowledge of english is not perfect and if any mistakes will occur in this message.
Anyhow, what I mean is that I envy you for your new life in Crete.
After long decisions last summer, late in september me and my girlfriend decided to spend two weeks in Crete. I can say without fear that it was the best place we ever visited. The nature the sea and the mountains ahve cast a spell on us and more and more we are thinking of coming back soon and maybe buy a little house or apartment somewhere on the west southern part, or perhaps nera jerapetra. could you please inform us about local laws and rules and tips and useful information before buying a property? would you suggest to contact a local real estate agency?, are there any things in particular we need to know before having unplesant surprises? Please be so kind to send as many informations as you may deem important and indispensable. Thank you in advance :D :rolleyes:

chaim

carlo cattaneo

#8 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

Many thanks to all for your good wishes.

Chaim, there are many things to look at when buying property in Crete and there are a number of web sites with a lot of useful information - search on Living in Crete and you should find them. As with many major purposes, personal recommendations from people you know and trust is the best way - we were fortunate to have this and used a local estate agent and will be using a local architect and project manager for the design and build. So far our experience has been positive, though I'm sure there will be frustrations in the future.

Anyway, quick update - we moved last week and are now settled in the flat - cats finally seem to have got used to the new accommodation, but would like more space (as would we). I have to admit I'm missing my large cooker and dishwasher, dining room and study, but it is at least an incentive to get our act together and get everything sorted for a move as soon as we can.

At least the icy pavements her in North London seem to have improved so I should be able to get out shortly to do the last-minute food shopping safely!

Pam & Bob

#9 kal248

kal248

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

Hi Pam
I was just reading through the forum and noticed your post about moving to Crete.I wondered if you are now out there and how it is going. I see you were planing to build your own home, has that been a sucess? How have you found working with the achitect and builders?
The reason for my interest is we are moving out to Crete in a couple of months to build villa, we have found a beautiful plot of land in Agios Nikolas that we are in the process of purchasing. It is about 5 minutes from town and overlooks the bay of Mirabella and Agios Nikolas. Can't wait to get back out there and get started.
I hope everything went well with your move and you are now enjoying living in Crete. :)
Kal

#10 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

Hi, Kal - yes, we've been out here for nearly a year and have settled in well. The move itself was horrendous due to an air traffic controller strike, which meant that we had to rearrange our travel plans literally at the last minute and ended up staying at Athens airport (in a hotel) for 2 nights - very boring and expensive, but necessary if we were going to be there to pick up our 3 cats.

Our house was completed in November, and we finally moved on 30th November - a couple of weeks delay due to the electricity not being connected on time. In general we were satisfied with the building - work proceeded apace until August when it did stop, which we were told about. However, there were some frustrations in the last couple of months when work just seemed to stop for no reason and we had to chase the architect and project manager for information. Also, now we have moved in there's mostly fairly trivial but annoying things to be put right, which is taking an age to sort out. Communication in general has been a problem - we've had to do most of the chasing and the only times they were proactive on geting in touch with us was when the next chunk of money was due. The recommendations I would make is find somewhere to live close by, visit the site daily when building starts and set up a regular meeting with the project manager to review progress and get information on work expected in the next weeks.

However, it is a lovely house - well insulated, so it's been warm even in the last few weeks when we've had a lot of cloudy, wet and cool days. We light our wood-burning stove in the evening, close the shutters and it's really cosy. It's been frustrating as we really want to get our garden sorted, and apart from putting in a few plants we'd bought all we've been able to do is watch the weeds grow.

Best of luck with your plans and do keep us informed of progress.

Pam

#11 Mike and Jane

Mike and Jane

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:39 PM

O.K. Glad you're now settled and hope all is as you planned when we saw it in Sept. How are the cats coping with the winter? There seems to be plenty of olive cultivation advice on the web, perhaps you could graft some eating olive buds onto your trees. Everyone needs a hobby! Best of luck.

#12 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hi, Mike and Jane, yes, everything is fine here apart from the minor niggles mentioned above (missing wardrobe handles, shower fitting in wrong place etc). The cats are coping OK, but do get bored and bad-tempered when the weather's bad. Since you saw us last year we've acquired 2 more - we were feeding 4 kittens outside , but one died and another disappeared one day. The following day the 2 left turned up at the door and invited themselves in. However, one of them is still not really tame and won't be handled, so we couldn't get her to the vets in time and she's now having kittens. The other one is very friendly and we managed to get her done in time, so at least it's only one litter (and there won't be any more).

Hope you'll be able to come over and see our completed house in September, and this time stay the night so you don't need to worry about catching buses.

Pam