11 replies to this topic

#1 hikerroeland

hikerroeland

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

We are back from crete and we had a wonderful time. We stayed in the area around Hersonissos and did some nice trip around the area. We would like to go back in a couple of weeks but would like to go to Ierapetra - Myrtos area or to Keratokambos –Tsoutsouros area .What is the nicest area ?
Thanks
Roeland
Enjoy this beautiful world and always look ahead of you

#2 armando

armando

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:39 PM

I try to be impartial .. not easy as I really love Keratokampos. :)

In this village you can find very good people (as in all Crete, off course), wonderful and natural beaches and a quiet life, some good tavernas, but not so fun or nigh life

Posted Image

In Ierapetra (and some less in Myrtos) you can find more fun and resorts .. but also natural environment, if you move to beaches west of Myrtos, or bringing the ferry from Ierapetra to wonderful Gaiduronissi (ehm ... sorry: The Tourism demand the name "Chrissi" now :) )
From there you can rent a motorbike and go daily to Keratokambos / Tsoutsouros, not the contrary,

It depends on which kind of holidays you like more ..

At your disposition if you need some more info on K.

Bye
Armando

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

Of course I am with you on this one Armando - although I prefer that part west of the dried up river by the butchers- Kastri- where I spent my first night in Crete (thinking for many years it was Keratokambos the next door village that most of us though was just one longer village). How luck was that to find such a teasure for my first night! Some fantastic beaches a few k west of Kastri towards Tsoutsouros, and indeed a few really nice ones just before Tsoutsouios. I'll try and find some photos. Tgough there is a little tourism, the area has largely avoided the worst things that touirism brings.
These days, it is very easy to get back inland from Tsoutsouros or Keratokambos.

#4 armando

armando

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

Absolutely in accord with Tim! I forgot to say about Kastri (in effects the two villages are contigous), but also it is quite "our home" :)

Posted Image

Here we were at a tavern near the Kastri port, at 12 december '08! (please see the climate :) )

The beaches at West of Kastri (Listìs, Dermatos, ecc.) are really fantastic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

About "Night life": a "panegiri" (Agios Panteleimonas, 26-7) in Keratokampos:

Posted Image

Homesick message, for me.

Bye :)
Armando

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

Excellent pictures Armando- and yes, they make me rather homesick for Kastri too. (and gave me a thirst for a Mythos!)

#6 hikerroeland

hikerroeland

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

Armando great pictures , Ithink Ial sold on the place (just have to have my General agree ) but that shouldn't be a problem.Armando or Tim do you know if there is a canyon arround hondros?
Thanks
Roeland

#7 armando

armando

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:12 PM

Tim .. we MUST have a Mythos/raki meeting there! : :)

Yes Roeland, there is a little canyon just near Chondros direction Kastri, an other over Keratokampos, and if I remember well, an other over Arvi.
Also in Asterusia mountain (the one at skyline in second picture of previous message) over Tsoutsouros and littlebit more far (near Tris Ekklisies) on the mountain.
These are little .. or "holes" .. while in other parts of Crete you can find bigger ones.

(I checked in this meantime on French site www.descente-canyon.com)

You can find the above, looking on this site for Greece - Crete - Iraklio, and choosing the names:
- Arvi
- Kaviousou
- Portella
- Paranimfi
- Tsoutsouros

Bye
Armando

#8 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

Roeland,
If you have access to Google Earth then you can use it to get an idea about the canyons in the area of interest. If you have trouble finding Tsoutsouros, Kastri, Keratokambos etc, just go directly south of Heraklion and work your way east. The above named places are named in some of the photos so you should be able to work out what is where quite easily.
When I first when to Kastri/Keratokambos about 20 years ago, the route down was through Hondros- it should have been called Horrendous because it was an unpaved route with drops that were horryifying to the uninitated. I'm sure Armando remembers those old roads.

#9 hikerroeland

hikerroeland

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

Thanks Tim I downloaded Google Earth and yes you can see many details.Can even see the canyon.
Roeland

#10 chorianos

chorianos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

One word of good advice Roeland,
If you come in a few weeks, it will be the second half of october.
Weather can already be unstable then and it might rain. So walking trough canyons can be very dangerous with all that water running down.
So before you go walking, check the weather forecast and inform by the locals about eventual dangers in case of bad weather.
Never the less, enjoy your second trip to Crete!

#11 hikerroeland

hikerroeland

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

We would we coming arround the 7th of October.Hoping the weather is still good then,Thanks for the information.

#12 armando

armando

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

I'm sure Armando remembers those old roads.

Yes Tim.
First time I went there, in '82 with a friend and a car, the road was completely white.
The next year I went with my girlfriend (now wife :) ) with a road m.bike (KW 550 GPZ). There were works for asphalt pave the road, with many problems for us in order to keep open eyes for dust and to avoid to fall down in some streches particularly roughs.
One strange thing was to stay in the tavern .. the one in picture above. Not yet the new port at that time, but the rock of Kastri sheltering from wind, and the little bay, made a sort of "natural port" from which the name "Limani" also before. But in Limani did not arrive electric current, and the tavern had only two oil lanterns: the first for them, the second for first guest table ... and for next guests: to fengàri! (the moon) :) It was hard eating "koklioùs" at the quite-dark. :)