• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Giannis_K

Giannis_K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:47 AM

In Crete, not only goats on the mountains are tiny, but also the road signs at the streets.
If any bush or tree happens to grow in front of them, they become really invisible, and you will miss your exit without even noticing it.
How hard is it for the officials charged with road maintenance to cut off the plantation that hides the road signs?
Should maybe someone remind them that taking good care of the visitors and tourists is the best promotion for Crete?

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:27 PM

Whilst you are correct about many signs Giannis, I think Crete deserves credit for the way in which some signs in Greek script, on main roads are often followed up by signs in English script a hundred meters further on. In the UK we never offer such a courtesy to our overseas visitors (except signs near the ports telling then to drive on the left)

#3 armando

armando

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

in English script

I dont think that it's English: in the toponyms the translitteration from greek to latin characters in the past was made following an old Cyprus Convention table (I do not remember the reference .. it was may be in the 50ties), similar to ISO 843

Posted Image

Now, as more Greeks know latin character set from English, some notations changed: is evident the greek "χ", before on signs written "ch" , that is now quite ever "h".

I fully agree that to have a double notation on signs is very useful and kind for tourists :huh:

Geia sas
Armando

#4 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

Giannis_K,

It is not only the Greeks who cover their road signs, you should see the trees/shrubs that cover some road signs here in Wales!

Dave
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:23 PM

Armando,
You are right of course, the English language uses the Latin script. Thanks for the correction.
(I was having one of my (many) moments!)