• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Giannis_K

Giannis_K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

It is really impressive how many road you can find in Crete with lamp posts, which are though not lit at night.
Especially in highways from Chania to Agios Nikolaos, darkness makes driving hard, because the lights of passing cars blind the drivers.
If you are coming on vacation to Crete, dark highways will make driving hard because you are not familiar with the streets and their challenging parts, and you are not used to the aggressive driving of the locals.
Especially for elder people, darkness is even more dangerous because a driver of 70 years of age, needs 7 times more light than a driver in his 20s.

#2 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:47 AM

"Especially for elder people, darkness is even more dangerous because a driver of 70 years of age, needs 17 times more light than a driver in his 20s."

An interesting statement! Can I ask what is the source of this information or can you provide a link to a site confirming this?

I ask because I only have a few years to go before I reach the age of 70 but I have not noticed that the world is getting darker! As a child I used to read by the light of a single 100 watt lightbulb and still do. Should this be so? Surely if my eyes now need 17 times more light I should need a whole bank of lightbulbs?

The British government publish a number of road safety research reports and they have published their research on "vision and driving" using statistics based on the accident figures for various ages.

A few comments from the report:

"It will be noted that accidents involving death and injury are found mainly in the younger age groups."

"In general, then, the current accident distributions with age are such as to suggest that the relatively low number of accidents for older drivers is likely to continue to apply."

"For a variety of reasons, it is the younger driver who contributes most to the accident figures, in spite of the relatively higher standard of vision amongst this age group"

The whole report is here: http://www.dft.gov.u...vingno02?page=4

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#3 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:11 AM

Sounds as though it is like various parts of the UK as local authorities turn off the street lights overnight in an attempt to save money.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#4 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

As I recall trying to find our webmaster's street one dark night a few years ago, I have some sympathy with Giannis K's comments. Visible street names was the problem compounded by being tired after a flight. Was worth the effort though!

#5 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:01 AM

To this we might add something about the tractors especially when the olive season starts and the evenings get darker, driving around without lights or very bad lights.
It is time to look out for those ghost drivers!
lars
Kriti stin kardia mou
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????

#6 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

Hi John,
there was a typo in Giannis_K's post. The correct is 7 times more light not 17. We got this information from an article in a Greek magazine.
Today I found one more article which confirms what Giannis wrote:

FORT MILL, SC, July 10, 2009 /24-7PressRelease/ -- According to the Center of Design For An Aging Society in Portland, Oregon, older people need more light (about 3 to 5 times more than younger people) for both vision and maintaining health. Seniors know that as they age their eye lenses thicken and their pupils shrink. This causes their eyes to adapt more slowly to changing light conditions and increases the need for light.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster