• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Giannis_K

Giannis_K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

Lately we have been witnessing several cases of theft at the beaches on Crete. More particularly, there are thieves who are waiting for the bathers to go swimming, leaving their stuff unattended. The thieves grab them and disappear in the crowds; this is why they choose more crowded beaches, because they can easily disappear in the crowds and because they have more chances to find new victims.

Even if you don’t have enough money in your bag, losing your passport could put you to trouble. You should always consider leaving your travel papers at the hotel or the car, as well as your tickets. Do not ever leave your mobile phone or your camera in plain view, because these are the first things that will probably attract the attention of any avid beach thief.

#2 Josephina

Josephina

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

This is so sad. I have been coming to Crete for 12 years now and for 2 of those years I have owned a house in Maronia, Eastern Crete. We have never had to worry about theft at all. I have left my things on the beach, left the car unlocked and we virtually never lock our house in the village. I can remember our second visit to Crete and we left our camera in a taxi and the hotel we had been to that night rang us the next day to say that the driver had delivered the camera to them for us to collect. I can only presume that it is visitors to Crete that are responsible for the thefts. I have always found Cretan people to be very honest and trustworthy.

Josephina