6 replies to this topic

#1 saffy

saffy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:41 PM

We're only in Crete for a week .. starting from 12th July. Staying at the Golden Bay Apartments in Gournes.

We do want to explore a little but not really sure we can afford a car as we are on a bit of a budget ... i.e. I am proving to my husband that we can actually afford, not only to purchase a holiday, but have enough to spend on it too .. (else this might be my last one for a few years).

I've been to Knossos before, so not too worried about missing that .. but I would dearly love to go to a beautiful beach .. in particular Elofonisi - but would that be practical without a car? I am presuming that we would have to take two busses at least to get there, as I doubt First Choice would run an excursion. Also, has anyone been to Chrissi Island?

#2 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:12 PM

Crete is a big island, and Elafonisi about as far away from Gournes as you can get in Crete. Even with a car it would take you at least four hours (at a conservative guess) to get there; by bus it will take a lot longer.

Elafonisi is now (or so I've heard) full of tourists who come by tour bus, and their rubbish. Don't waste your precious time: there are plenty of wonderful beaches much closer, to the east, west, and south, especially south.

#3 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:55 PM

Hi
Chrissi Island is beautiful and great if you get away from the hordes of people who are deposited by boatload each day.

We have enjoyed several trips there but a couple of years ago the price of boat tickets shot up sp now we drive down the coast to Tertos instead.

Good to go once tho
Kritsa Yvonne

#4 saffy

saffy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:05 AM

Ooh thank you for your prompt replies.

So where would you recommend in the region I am staying?

#5 armando

armando

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:33 PM

Here a little beach near Xerokampos:

Posted Image

Have nice holidays B)
Armando

#6 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:12 AM

I don't know what ideas you may have about the cost of hire cars but may I suggest that you consider shopping around as you just might get a deal that would allow you to be completely independent and get to the area Armando recommends- for example. Don't be tempted to save a few bob and hire scooters though- they are the most dangerous way to travel.
I've tried checking the KTEL bus site but cannot readily identify a service to the south east- but check with your rep or accommodation on arrival.
You might also like to look around this website more, at the beach guide for example, go to the home page and look from there. (You might also be able to email some of the car hire companies who advertise here to get an idea of charges)

#7 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:24 PM

If you are going to book a car through the Internet might I suggest that you don't necessarily go for the cheapest. After going for what I thought was a good deal a couple of years ago I had a nightmare. The car that was delivered was a grade lower than that paid for, there were faults with it, and because the company I hired it from was a 2 hour drive away I saw hide nor hair of him despite numerous phonecalls to him and several promises to rectify it. Several of these calls were made by a Greek friend so language problems weren't in the equation! One call from the guy stated that he was outside the apartment when we were actually in it looking out at an empty street!!!
So the moral of my story is...don't go for the cheapest go for one that you are able to get in touch with easily who should be quite close to where you are staying.
Personal recommendation is the best if that is available to you.
As for Elafonisi, I would avoid it like the plague during the tourist season. As Julie says bus loads of tourists visit daily. the best time to visit is in the spring or the autumn (late November). I was the only person when I went one November..it was sheer magic.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!