#1 Cliff Astles

Cliff Astles

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:46 PM

Hi,

Myself and my wife Barbara will be in Crete, staying in the area of Gerani, from May 26 th until 09 June 2009.

We have access to a vehicle, and will therefore be able to venture over most of the Island.

We would very much like to be made aware of any Traditional Cretan Village Weddings that may be taking place during our short stay, so that we may hopefully be allowed the opportunity of being able to take photographs.

Short time before we arrive, I know but we will be able to obtain any information whilst we are in Crete, have Laptop access, and will therefore be able to retrieve any e-mails sent to us, re this topic.

Thank you for your anticipated assistance.

Cliff Astles.

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

I may be wrong but I think as the affairs are often family/community affairs, it is more a case of whether you are invited rather than looking for one that is going on and joining in. I was provisionally invited to one by a friend of the groom but the invitation was never firmed up and I didn't attend. I wouldn't have dreamt of going without a proper invite but that's a personal decision.
Whilst the Greeks are known for their generosity and whats the word, filoxenia, I personally wouldn't expect anyone here to mention wedding details for public consumption as it were - but if you happen to be somewhere where one is happening or due to happen and get invited, then lucky you.
Another personal decision would be to ensure I knew the form and expectations before attending. Some times what we might think is a friendly gesture may be quite the opposite. If I say hands up then many will know what I mean.
This may not sound helpful- but it is meant to be.

#3 Cliff Astles

Cliff Astles

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:17 PM

Hi,

I know your reply is meant to be useful and helpful, and I suppose in a way it is.

However, we have no intention of trying to "get invited" to anything, and would certainly NOT even try to impose ourselves onto such an important event in anyones life, as their own wedding, Cretan or English, as you imply was our intention ????

However, I would have thought that as all of the traditional Cretan weddings I have seen recently (example Youtube) do ensure that all of the local villagers, relations, friends and visitors (who may just be passing through their village) are, not only allowed to view the parade of the bride and groom through the village (for all to see and admire).

BUT do not object to photographs and videos being taken. In fact they appear to encourage such acts, as so doing actively encourages and promotes the continuation of this great Cretan tradition, and spectical.

However, we would not wish to offend anyone, particularly our own Greek and Cretan friends, whilst on holiday, and would therefore wish to see what others have to say in the respect before we go anywhere.

But thanks for your comments, and look forward to hear other views on this topic.

As we say in NOTHERN ENGLAND..........If in DOUBT do NOWT, and that is excatly what we will do !!

Unless we find out differently.

HELP PLEASE.

#4 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

In Kritsa they try to hold a real wedding during August and "advertise" it as a cultural event so that visitors may enjoy the public parts of the event.

This does not happen every year and I have not yet been lucky enough to see it - fingers crossed for this year.

There has been a thread on this topic before and Yiannis managed to add some great photos and a link to U tube

If you want to take a look click here

http://members.explo...amp;#entry13870

When I was in Crete a few weeks ago the brochure of summer cultural events had not been published - when I return in July I will check again and post on the forum if there will be such a wedding this year.
Kritsa Yvonne

#5 Cliff Astles

Cliff Astles

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:42 AM

Hi to all,

Have just returned from Crete, with loads of great memories, and even more good photos, and YES, I was able to take a few photos of a number of Traditional Cretan Weddings.

Fortunately, where I was staying the weddings came to me !!

There is a truly wonderful setting for weddings in Crete. The church actually being on the side of the our local beach, hence I was able to take a number of photos (as did many other visitors to Crete) at quite a distance from the actual weddings activities.

A selection of photos will appear on my web page for all to see, and luckily include most of what I wished to include on my visit this year.

They will be available on my Web Page, during the course of the next few days.

#6 Aurelia

Aurelia

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:22 AM

Hi Cliff,

You were most fortunate to see a Cretan wedding. I look
forward to seeing the photos on your web site.

Aurelia

#7 Cliff Astles

Cliff Astles

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

The "summary" or reduced set of photos are now up for viewing. A full set will be loaded on -line on my own Web page.............soon.