• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

For those who might be interested, and fortunate enough to be in Crete around the time of the Battle of Crete Commemoration events, the Royal Air Force display team, better known as the Red Arrows, will perform over Chania on the morning of Saturday 23rd MAY starting at 9.45hrs.

Events for the period are listed as:-

1. Friday 22 May

1030 - Firkas (Chania) - Flag Raising
1930 - Galatas Village - wreath laying

2. Sat 23 May

0945 - Chania (Harbour) - Red Arrows
1100 - Alikianos - Wreath Laying
1600 - RAF Memorial - Malame
1800 - CWGC Suda Bay - Main Service
2000 - Galatas Village - Reception.

3. Sun 24 May

1300 - German War Cemetery, Malame - Service.
1800 - Welch Regiment Memorial, Galatas - Service
1900 - Galatas Memorial - service.

I would hope this is the final program, things have been known to change in the past so do check if you are making a special trip.

#2 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

Tim I hope you mean May

And to anyone who has not seen the Red Arrows they are not to be missed.

Once a year we have them around a Goodwood Festival of Speed and they are amazing.
Ian

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

Mani
Very many thanks for pointing that error out! A luxury of being a mod means I have been able to correct the original posting now. (-it isn't a case of anyone imagining they saw April!)
Thanks

#4 Cliff Astles

Cliff Astles

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately !!!!!!, I will be in CRETE the following week, on a 2 week holiday and WW2 Photo assignement.

I have placed info on my own intro page, but thought you may be able to help.

I will be in the Chania / Rythemon area from the 26th MAY until the 9th June.

Could you please HELP to get me in contact with the Crete Veterans Association, in CRETE, ASAP, PLEASE.

I would like to make sure that for those veterans in Crete and the UK (and elsewhere for that matter) if there are any special photos they would like to have taken during my trip, I would be more than happy to do these for them.

THEY ARE at COST to ALL Veterans when ordered from my Web Page, and all they would have to pay is for the for Post and Packaging for prints ordered, and if quite a number were requested, no problem.

I will provide for them a CD, at COST also, plus P & P.

This NOT the first time I have done this, as I have done it for WW1 relatives and friends, and I also did same in Tunisia, where my father spent a good deal, of his time, during ww2.

No gimick, just trying to give back a little for those that did this for me, and others, so very long ago.

#5 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

Further to the previous posting, I would like to point those who are interested to a site that has been in existence for a couple of years and which is run by volunteers.

It is The War Graves Photographic Project and can be found at www.twgpp.org. The idea of the project is to eventually have a data base containing photographs of war graves throughout the world that are available to relatives who are unable to visit the graves of their loved ones. I believe that there is a mininum donation for photographs issued.
The site is well worth a visit and is very informative.

Tim guided me to the site a couple of years ago through his own interest in the subject and I am very grateful for his guidance. The contents of the site has made my awareness of the tragedy of war more vivid (if that is the correct word).

Cliff, if you wish to contact the Cretan Veterans Association I believe that they are UK based and if you use a search engine I think will find their web site or I think that there is a link to them through Tims' own web site.

Dave
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#6 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

...heck! I'm doing a lot of thinking for so early in the morning. I'll be shattered before I get to work!!! :D
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#7 Cliff Astles

Cliff Astles

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

Hi Dave,

Did send a letter, recently to the UK Crete Veterans Ass, but to date have not had ant response.

Thanks for your info anyhow.

Cliff

#8 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

Cliff

Thanks for your posting and offer. I will pass it on to the UK Crete Veterans and Friends Secretary but think that it is maybe too late for your forthcoming trip as I don't expect members can be advised other than via the newsletter which I am not expecting to see until after their visit to Crete later this month.
Also, as Dave has pointed out, pictures of headstones and memorials are available from the War Graves Photographic Project. I know that the Crete ones are already done as I, and some others from here and elsewhere, took them a few years back. I will also add a reference to my website www.creteveterans.org which is for those relatively few veterans with internet access. Thanks.

As Dave has kindly mentioned the www.twgpp.org may I just take the opportunity to mention to all that they are now formally working with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. I think that to have achieved such status is a terrific endorsement and, though I am no longer their Devon co-ordinator or actively involved snapping for them, I am proud to have been associated with them in the formative years. My thanks to all those others here and in Crete, and elsewhere, for putting the internet to such good use on the project.

#9 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

Just back from two fabulous weeks in Rethymnon. I'd forgotten how stunningly beautiful Crete is in May. A photographers paradise. Sadly we missed the red arrows over Chania Harbour but we did see them en-route as they went over Rethymnon. T

#10 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:47 AM

It was a stunning performance indeed.
Brilliant sunshine that was matched by a brilliant performance.

Attached Files